Dec 8, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT
The CAA had two of the top-five team fundraisers in the Lacrosse Mustache Madness initiative and saw three teams combine to raise nearly $30,000 to benefit the HEADstrong Foundation this fall. The student-athletes and coaches joined teams from across the country in growing out their mustaches to help support cancer patients and their families.
Delaware men’s lacrosse raised $17,336, the second-highest figure in the country. Towson men’s lacrosse was fifth with $9,374. Fairfield contributed $2,863 to finish in the top-20.
Finishing second in the individual fundraising was Delaware’s own Elijah Conte. A senior midfielder and co-captain and a childhood cancer survivor, Conte raised $5,117 this year, surpassing his total of $4,482.77 that ranked fourth overall in 2014.
“Our team is involved in a number of community service events each year that benefit worthy causes like this one,” said Delaware head coach Bob Shillinglaw. “So many of our players and their families have been touched by cancer and our guys really embrace this challenge. Elijah is a great leader and did a fantastic job once again. I am extremely proud of the entire team for their efforts.”
The Lacrosse Mustache Madness fundraiser began in mid-October and ran through the month of November and goes to benefit the HEAD Strong Foundation. This year, the organization set a record by raising more than $170,000.
- #CAAHoops Summer School - UNCW Men
- #CAAHoops Summer School - UNCW Women
- JMU's Klaes-Bawcombe Voted IWLCA National Coach of the Year
- CAA Announces 2017-18 Team Academic Excellence Awards
- CAA Recognizes 19 With Leadership And Sports Excellence Awards
- Nine CAA Men's Basketball Players Selected To NABC Honors Court
- CAA Football Kicks Off 2018 Season With Media Day On July 24
- CAA to be Well-Represented at U.S. Women's Amateur
- #CAAHoops Summer School - James Madison Women
- #CAAHoops Summer School - James Madison Men
@CAASports on Twitter
#CAASports on Instagram
There was an error retrieving images from Instagram. An attempt will be remade in a few minutes.