Dec 8, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT
The CAA had two of the top-five team fundraisers in the Lacrosse Mustache Madness initiative and saw three teams combine to raise nearly $30,000 to benefit the HEADstrong Foundation this fall. The student-athletes and coaches joined teams from across the country in growing out their mustaches to help support cancer patients and their families.
Delaware men’s lacrosse raised $17,336, the second-highest figure in the country. Towson men’s lacrosse was fifth with $9,374. Fairfield contributed $2,863 to finish in the top-20.
Finishing second in the individual fundraising was Delaware’s own Elijah Conte. A senior midfielder and co-captain and a childhood cancer survivor, Conte raised $5,117 this year, surpassing his total of $4,482.77 that ranked fourth overall in 2014.
“Our team is involved in a number of community service events each year that benefit worthy causes like this one,” said Delaware head coach Bob Shillinglaw. “So many of our players and their families have been touched by cancer and our guys really embrace this challenge. Elijah is a great leader and did a fantastic job once again. I am extremely proud of the entire team for their efforts.”
The Lacrosse Mustache Madness fundraiser began in mid-October and ran through the month of November and goes to benefit the HEAD Strong Foundation. This year, the organization set a record by raising more than $170,000.
- Maconaghy Honored As 2019 David M. Parry Award Recipient
- Post-Season Honors Continue To Roll In For CAA Baseball Standouts
- Three Named IWLCA All-Americans
- Four CAA Football Players Named To Athlon Preseason All-America Team
- Fairfield Names Andrew Baxter Men's Lacrosse Head Coach
- Elon's Kirby Receives Third-Team All-America Honors From Baseball America
- CAA Student-Athletes Close Out NCAA Track and Field Championships
- CofC's Archer Called up to Trinidad & Tobago Gold Cup Squad
- W&M's Smith, Towson's Flacco Receive Baseball Academic All-America Honors
- CAA Football Has 16 Players Recognized On HERO Sports Preseason All-America Squad
@CAASports on Twitter
#CAASports on Instagram
There was an error retrieving images from Instagram. An attempt will be remade in a few minutes.