Sep 8, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT
The Colonial Athletic Association will conduct the CAA Blood Challenge for the 14th consecutive year this fall. The event has developed into one of the conference’s most important public service projects, having raised 41,831 units of blood over the past 13 years, which has helped to save 125,493 lives.
“The CAA Blood Challenge is a great source of pride for the conference and its member institutions,” CAA Commissioner Tom Yeager said. “It has a tremendous impact on many lives in our campus communities. We are always impressed by the amount of enthusiasm and participation on each campus and look forward to continued success with this very important life-saving project.”
Each CAA institution designates one day during the fall term to conduct a campus-wide blood drive. With the assistance of local blood service centers, a count is kept of all people who donate blood on that day. Based on those numbers, the CAA determines a winner and presents a trophy to that institution. The 2014 event resulted in 1,984 actual donors and 2,209 productive units of blood from the 10 participating CAA campuses.
The University of Delaware won the CAA Blood Challenge in 2014 for the fourth year in a row and eighth time overall with 700 actual donors, which resulted in 693 productive units of blood collected. Each CAA institution had at least 90 donors participate in the program and seven collected more than 100 units of blood. Drexel University finished second with 398 donors and UNCW placed third with 206 donors.
The CAA Blood Challenge was developed by the conference presidents as a fun way to emphasize the critical importance of donating blood. Each institution promotes the event on campus and encourages student groups, faculty, staff and alumni to participate and support their school.
The CAA Blood Challenge dates for each campus are as follows:
September 8, 2015 William & Mary
September 29, 2015 UNCW
October 12, 2015 Towson
October 20, 2015 Drexel
October 22, 2015 Elon
October 26, 2015 Northeastern
October 27, 2015 Hofstra
October 28, 2015 James Madison
October 30, 2015 College of Charleston
- Maconaghy Honored As 2019 David M. Parry Award Recipient
- Post-Season Honors Continue To Roll In For CAA Baseball Standouts
- Three Named IWLCA All-Americans
- Four CAA Football Players Named To Athlon Preseason All-America Team
- Fairfield Names Andrew Baxter Men's Lacrosse Head Coach
- Elon's Kirby Receives Third-Team All-America Honors From Baseball America
- CAA Student-Athletes Close Out NCAA Track and Field Championships
- CofC's Archer Called up to Trinidad & Tobago Gold Cup Squad
- W&M's Smith, Towson's Flacco Receive Baseball Academic All-America Honors
- CAA Football Has 16 Players Recognized On HERO Sports Preseason All-America Squad
@CAASports on Twitter
#CAASports on Instagram
There was an error retrieving images from Instagram. An attempt will be remade in a few minutes.