Jul 13, 2015, 11:33 AM EDT
Over the weekend, three softball student-athletes competed and played against the USA National Softball Team at the Moody Park in Ewing Township, N.J.
Representing the conference on Saturday evening was recent Hofstra graduate Taylor Pirone, teammate and rising senior Caryn Bailey and Elon rising sophomore Hannah Olson. All three players were picked to play for the college all-star team that consisted of 19 current and former collegiate standouts.
The double-header exhibition, swept by the USA team in scores 3-1 and 8-1, served as a tune-up for the national team before the start of the 2015 Pan American Games in Toronto. Nearly 4,000 fans watched both contests from New Jersey (3,735).
Pirone capped off her senior campaign for the Pride with a Game 7 victory over James Madison in the CAA Softball Championship title game. She won three total contests alone at the championship and was named Most Outstanding Performer to go along with her 1.09 ERA. Bailey also proved why she was a first team All-CAA selection, setting CAA tournament records with home runs (4) and total bases (18). The lefty finished 6-for-9 with eight RBI, four homers, five walks and six runs in all.
Olson was named to the CAA All-Rookie team after tying for second on her squad in batting average (.331) while also tying for the lead in stolen bases with seven. She finished among the top three for the Phoenix in several other categories including slugging percentage (.479), runs scored (33), hits (47) and doubles (12).
- NU Places 17th at NCAA Championships
- Delaware Captures First CAA Baseball Title
- W&M's Rome Headlines Athletes Headed To Eugene
- Beehler Pitches UNCW Into CAA Title Game
- NU Moves Onto C Finals at NCAA Championship
- Towson Falls to Ohio State 11-10 in NCAA Semis
- Northeastern Stays Alive With 8-5 Win Over CofC
- NU Crews Advance to C/D Semis of NCAA Championships
- Delaware Beats UNCW To Reach CAA Title Game
- CofC Rallies Past W&M, 7-6, In 11 Innings