May 14, 2015, 11:39 AM EDT
Last Friday, student-athletes from Hofstra University joined the collective effort also seen all over the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) by raising awareness and supporting the One Love Foundation and “Yards for Yeardley”.
The event was sponsored by the Hofstra Student-Athlete Committee (SAAC), and included a week of activities in support of the One Love Foundation to increase the awareness of and prevent relationship and domestic abuse. Student-athletes either ran/walked 1,000,200 yards to reach their goal of one million yards in the charity event.
According to a release from GoHofstra.com, on Thursday, April 30, approximately 60 student-athletes took part in the One Love Foundation Escalation Workshop, viewing a film and commenting on the importance of the message within. The foundation was represented by Katie Hood, chief executive officer, and Jaklyn van Manen, program coordinator of educational initiatives.
The Yards for Yeardley event was HU’s Athletics’ follow-up to help increase awareness and prevent relationship and domestic abuse. On Thursday, May 7, Director of Athletics, Jeffrey A. Hathaway, led a group of administrators, coaches, student-athletes and students that recorded 578,000 yards. The following day, the goal of one million yards was achieved after seven hours when 13 students, locked together by arms in solidarity for the One Love Foundation, completed the final 2,600 yards.
The CAA has had many student-athletes impacted by the The Yeardley Reynolds Love Foundation, which was created in 2010 to honor the memory of Yeardley Love, a University of Virginia senior women’s lacrosse player who passed away. The Foundation is often referred to as One Love, with “One” representing the number that Yeardley wore on her jersey during her high school and college lacrosse career.
The Pride women’s lacrosse team, along with other CAA squads, also completed the Yards for Yeardley challenge earlier this spring. Learn more about the foundation and Hofstra’s involvement by reading the full release here.
- Stellar Pitching Performance Gives Delaware 3-1 Victory Over Hofstra
- Charleston Hits Four Homers To Power Past Hofstra, 10-3
- Weiss' Walk-Off Double Lifts UNCW Past Delaware, 2-1, In Baseball Opener
- Seven Selected For USILA North/South Game
- JoeyD vs. the #CAAChamps - Delaware Baseball
- McConnell, Rooney Headline 2018 All-CAA Baseball Team
- Delaware Selected for Preseason WNIT
- Four CAA Tennis Players Receive ITA Regional Awards
- CAA Baseball Championship Gets Started On Wednesday
- Baseball Weekly Honors - May 21