Apr 8, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
Cool news out of Wilmington, N.C., this week as it was announced that the UNCW baseball team plans to host a bone marrow drive administrated by the “Be The Match” organization.
The Seahawks welcome William & Mary to town this coming weekend, while the bone marrow drive will take place on Saturday, April 11, at 2 p.m.
According to UNCWSports.com, the idea to host the event came from freshman pitcher Clay Lockamon, who had a close friend (Ronnie Deloach), who was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia in December. Deloach is the father of former UNCW pitcher and Anaheim Angels minor leaguer Tyler Deloach.
The release via the Seahawks’ website says “The drive will benefit individuals diagnosed with life threatening blood cancers like leukemia and lymphoma. “Be The Match” is the largest and most diverse marrow registry in the world. The registry seeks to help save the lives of patients in need of a transplant.”
Lockamon has appeared in three games for the Seahawks, who sit at 22-8 overall, including 5-1 so far in CAA play this season.
“After Mr. Deloach was diagnosed, my best friend Carson Arthur and I thought of hosting a drive at a baseball game to help add more people to the registry,” said Lockamon on UNCWSports.com. “By adding more people to the registry, it gives others like Mr. Deloach a better chance at finding a match for a donor.”
Earlier on Saturday, a 5K race will be held at the Harold Greene Track & Field Complex to benefit the cause. All proceeds will go to the family of Savannah Radebaugh, who is battling Fanconi anemia and needs a bone marrow transplant. Registration for the walk/race begins at 7:45 a.m. for the 9 a.m. start.
- Ryder, Shorey Named Student-Athletes Of The Year
- UD's DeLuca Earns USILA National Defensive Player of the Week
- TU's Alexander, Elon's Mactas Share Golfer of the Week
- WM's Choi Named Golfer of the Week
- Men's and Women's Tennis Weekly Honors - March 28
- Track & Field Weekly Honors - March 28
- Baseball Weekly Honors - March 27
- Softball Weekly Honors - March 27
- Women's Lacrosse Weekly Report - March 27
- Men's Lacrosse Weekly Report - March 27