Oct 1, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Tuesday night was certainly a historic night at the UNCW Soccer Stadium. Not only did the Seahawk men defeat No. 9 UNC, 4-3, but they did it in front of 2,613 spectators, which set a new attendance record by nearly 1,000 people.
Even more impressive is the fact that the ‘Hawks won their sixth straight match overall — improving to 8-1-1 on the year — and remained a perfect 4-0 in 2014 versus ranked foes. On top of that, it was the second straight season that the team downed the Tar Heels, beating UNC in 2013 on the road, 1-0.
UNCW senior midfielder Jamie Dell scored twice, including the game-winner in the 80th minute last night, for the Seahawks, who get another shot at a ranked opponent on Saturday at home versus No. 23 Delaware in the Blue Hens’ CAA opener. Dell now has six goals on the year.
Perhaps the coolest part of the big win was the excitement created before and after. Check out a few social media posts from below to see what I mean …
- Charleston Falls 62-58 To Auburn In NCAA Tourney
- Drexel Notches WNIT Win
- NC State Knocks Elon from NCAA Tournament
- JMU Opens WNIT with Win
- Kutch Breaks Own Record at Day 3 of NCAA Championships
- Clark & Kutch Ready for NCAA Championships
- #CAAHoops: WBB National Postseason Preview
- Men's #CAAHoops Weekly - NCAA Tourney Preview
- Saunderson Earns Second Straight NCAA Championships Berth
- UD's Chapman Earns Golfer of the Week