Oct 1, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Tuesday night was certainly a historic night at the UNCW Soccer Stadium. Not only did the Seahawk men defeat No. 9 UNC, 4-3, but they did it in front of 2,613 spectators, which set a new attendance record by nearly 1,000 people.
Even more impressive is the fact that the ‘Hawks won their sixth straight match overall — improving to 8-1-1 on the year — and remained a perfect 4-0 in 2014 versus ranked foes. On top of that, it was the second straight season that the team downed the Tar Heels, beating UNC in 2013 on the road, 1-0.
UNCW senior midfielder Jamie Dell scored twice, including the game-winner in the 80th minute last night, for the Seahawks, who get another shot at a ranked opponent on Saturday at home versus No. 23 Delaware in the Blue Hens’ CAA opener. Dell now has six goals on the year.
Perhaps the coolest part of the big win was the excitement created before and after. Check out a few social media posts from below to see what I mean …
- JMU's Good Named Player of the Year Top 3 Finalist
- Weather Delays CAA Baseball Championship
- Marinaccio Pitches Gem As Hens Blank CofC, 9-0
- Eight Earn USILA All-American Recognition
- Seven Earn All-ECAC Honors; Mayes Named Defensive POTY
- UNCW's Golden Headlines All-CAA Baseball Team
- CAA Baseball Championship Preview
- CofC's Fuenfstueck Ties for 24th at NCAA Championship
- Baseball Weekly Honors - May 22
- Towson Downs Cuse to Advance to NCAA Semifinals