Oct 1, 2014, 10:31 AM EST
Tuesday night was certainly a historic night at the UNCW Soccer Stadium. Not only did the Seahawk men defeat No. 9 UNC, 4-3, but they did it in front of 2,613 spectators, which set a new attendance record by nearly 1,000 people.
Even more impressive is the fact that the ‘Hawks won their sixth straight match overall — improving to 8-1-1 on the year — and remained a perfect 4-0 in 2014 versus ranked foes. On top of that, it was the second straight season that the team downed the Tar Heels, beating UNC in 2013 on the road, 1-0.
UNCW senior midfielder Jamie Dell scored twice, including the game-winner in the 80th minute last night, for the Seahawks, who get another shot at a ranked opponent on Saturday at home versus No. 23 Delaware in the Blue Hens’ CAA opener. Dell now has six goals on the year.
Perhaps the coolest part of the big win was the excitement created before and after. Check out a few social media posts from below to see what I mean …
- Four CAAFB Teams Receive FCS Playoff Berths
- CAA Football Rewind - Nov. 18
- Dukes Capture Second Straight Volleyball Title
- JMU Captures ECAC Championship
- UNCW Faces UNC in NCAA Second Round
- Cougars, Dukes Earn VB Title Match Berths
- CAAFB Has Seven On Academic All-District Team
- Hofstra, JMU Punch #CAAChamps Semifinal Tickets
- UNCW Wins, WM Falls in NCAA First Round
- This Week In CAA Football - Week 12 Preview
@CAASports on Twitter
#CAASports on Instagram
There was an error retrieving images from Instagram. An attempt will be remade in a few minutes.