Oct 1, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Tuesday night was certainly a historic night at the UNCW Soccer Stadium. Not only did the Seahawk men defeat No. 9 UNC, 4-3, but they did it in front of 2,613 spectators, which set a new attendance record by nearly 1,000 people.
Even more impressive is the fact that the ‘Hawks won their sixth straight match overall — improving to 8-1-1 on the year — and remained a perfect 4-0 in 2014 versus ranked foes. On top of that, it was the second straight season that the team downed the Tar Heels, beating UNC in 2013 on the road, 1-0.
UNCW senior midfielder Jamie Dell scored twice, including the game-winner in the 80th minute last night, for the Seahawks, who get another shot at a ranked opponent on Saturday at home versus No. 23 Delaware in the Blue Hens’ CAA opener. Dell now has six goals on the year.
Perhaps the coolest part of the big win was the excitement created before and after. Check out a few social media posts from below to see what I mean …
- Pairings Set for Women's Lacrosse Championship
- Towson Clinches Top Seed & Hosts #CAALax Championship
- #CAALax Close-Up with Jack Adams & Ryan Tierney
- VU's Kpassagnon, Seaton Chosen In NFL Draft
- #CAASports Close-Up With Giovanna Kolofer
- CAA Weekend Preview - April 28-30
- Hofstra's Concannon & Byrne Nominated For Tewaaraton Award
- #CAASports Close-Up With Casey Golden
- UD & CofC's Fuenfstueck Headed to NCAA Regionals
- Talcott, Straume Earn Tennis MOP Honors