Sep 17, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT
The College of William & Mary women’s cross country team, which opened the 2014 season with consecutive victories at the Spider Alumni Open and the Tribe’s own W&M Invitational, is ranked No. 26 nationally in the first regular-season edition of the NCAA Division I Cross Country National Coaches Poll released Tuesday by the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA).
This is no surprise for the program, considering the Tribe opened the year ranked No. 26 in the USTFCCCA preseason poll. Leading the way thus far for the squad has been redshirt junior Carolyn Hennessey, junior Meghan McGovern and senior Dylan Hassett.
Hennessey finished second in the season-opening race hosted by the University of Richmond, McGovern finished third and Hassett placed eighth. Last weekend, in their own backyard at the W&M Invitational, Hennessey paced the pack and captured her first individual title in the 5K by nearly five seconds. For her efforts, she was named Co-Women’s Cross Country Runner of the Week by the CAA. Fittingly, in the same race, McGovern and Hassett followed in second and third, respectively.
In the USTFCCCA Men’s National Poll that was also released for Week 1 on Tuesday, William & Mary is currently receiving votes (3) after entering the year also receciving votes (6) in the preseason poll.
The Tribe women and men are back in action on Friday, Sept. 26, at the Panorama Farms Invitational in Charlottesville, Va.
Follow wmxctf on Instagram here.
- Seven Earn All-ECAC Honors; Mayes Named Defensive POTY
- UNCW's Golden Headlines All-CAA Baseball Team
- CAA Baseball Championship Preview
- CofC's Fuenfstueck Ties for 24th at NCAA Championship
- Baseball Weekly Honors - May 22
- Towson Downs Cuse to Advance to NCAA Semifinals
- CofC's Fuenfstueck in Top-25 at NCAA Championship
- Dukes' Memorable Season Ends In Waco Regional Title Game
- JMU Keeps Season Alive With Saturday Split
- Pairings Set For CAA Baseball Championship