Aug 27, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
The 2014 women’s soccer season officially started last weekend and the league impressed across the board with a combined 12-5-1 showing.
On Monday, the NSCAA/Continental Tire Division I Women’s Poll — Mid-Atlantic — was released and five teams from the CAA were ranked. Headlining the group was James Madison in the No. 2 slot, followed by William & Mary (No. 4), Delaware (No. 5), Towson (No. 7) and Drexel (No. 8).
JMU and UD both earned two wins last weekend, with the Dukes downing Xavier and UMass and the Blue Hens outlasting Monmouth and St. Francis (Pa.). William & Mary played just once, but made it count, beating former CAA member George Mason, 1-0, in overtime. The Tigers of TU tied with UMass on Friday and then beat Xavier on Sunday to close out the weekend. Drexel, meanwhile, only played once and defeated crosstown rival Villanova, 2-1.
The remaining #CAASports women’s soccer teams, College of Charleston (2-0), Elon (1-1), Hofstra (1-1), UNCW (0-2) and Northeastern (1-1), all were in action last weekend as well.
Men’s soccer begins the 2014 season on Friday with nine teams in action. Earlier in August, the NSCAA released a Division I Men’s National Poll and while no CAA teams are represented yet, three squads — Delaware, Elon and William & Mary — are receiving votes in that poll. Check out the full poll here.
- UD knocks Off No. 1 Rutgers
- CAA Weekend Preview - March 24-26
- TU's Saunderson Competes at NCAA Championships
- JMU Falls to Villanova in Overtime
- CAA Football Announces Academic All-Conference Team
- Grant, 10 Players Earn NABC All-District Honors
- CofC's Rainey Named Golfer of the Week
- CofC's Fuenfstueck Earns Golfer of the Week
- Track & Field Weekly Honors - March 21
- Men's and Women's Tennis Weekly Honors - March 21