Aug 27, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
The 2014 women’s soccer season officially started last weekend and the league impressed across the board with a combined 12-5-1 showing.
On Monday, the NSCAA/Continental Tire Division I Women’s Poll — Mid-Atlantic — was released and five teams from the CAA were ranked. Headlining the group was James Madison in the No. 2 slot, followed by William & Mary (No. 4), Delaware (No. 5), Towson (No. 7) and Drexel (No. 8).
JMU and UD both earned two wins last weekend, with the Dukes downing Xavier and UMass and the Blue Hens outlasting Monmouth and St. Francis (Pa.). William & Mary played just once, but made it count, beating former CAA member George Mason, 1-0, in overtime. The Tigers of TU tied with UMass on Friday and then beat Xavier on Sunday to close out the weekend. Drexel, meanwhile, only played once and defeated crosstown rival Villanova, 2-1.
The remaining #CAASports women’s soccer teams, College of Charleston (2-0), Elon (1-1), Hofstra (1-1), UNCW (0-2) and Northeastern (1-1), all were in action last weekend as well.
Men’s soccer begins the 2014 season on Friday with nine teams in action. Earlier in August, the NSCAA released a Division I Men’s National Poll and while no CAA teams are represented yet, three squads — Delaware, Elon and William & Mary — are receiving votes in that poll. Check out the full poll here.
- #CAAFB Going Deep: The Making of a Comeback
- #CAAFB Closeup - Towson's Will Hayes
- This Week In CAA Football - Week 4 Preview
- UNCW's Eldridge Named Men's Golfer of the Week
- Three Teams Ranked In NFHCA Poll For Second Straight Week
- COFC Sweeps XC Runners of the Week
- Field Hockey Weekly Honors - Sept. 19
- Hofstra's Byrne is No. 1 Pick in NLL Draft
- Four CAAFB Teams Ranked In Top 25 Polls
- CAA Football Media Teleconference - Sept. 18