Aug 27, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
The 2014 women’s soccer season officially started last weekend and the league impressed across the board with a combined 12-5-1 showing.
On Monday, the NSCAA/Continental Tire Division I Women’s Poll — Mid-Atlantic — was released and five teams from the CAA were ranked. Headlining the group was James Madison in the No. 2 slot, followed by William & Mary (No. 4), Delaware (No. 5), Towson (No. 7) and Drexel (No. 8).
JMU and UD both earned two wins last weekend, with the Dukes downing Xavier and UMass and the Blue Hens outlasting Monmouth and St. Francis (Pa.). William & Mary played just once, but made it count, beating former CAA member George Mason, 1-0, in overtime. The Tigers of TU tied with UMass on Friday and then beat Xavier on Sunday to close out the weekend. Drexel, meanwhile, only played once and defeated crosstown rival Villanova, 2-1.
The remaining #CAASports women’s soccer teams, College of Charleston (2-0), Elon (1-1), Hofstra (1-1), UNCW (0-2) and Northeastern (1-1), all were in action last weekend as well.
Men’s soccer begins the 2014 season on Friday with nine teams in action. Earlier in August, the NSCAA released a Division I Men’s National Poll and while no CAA teams are represented yet, three squads — Delaware, Elon and William & Mary — are receiving votes in that poll. Check out the full poll here.
- McConnell, Rooney Headline 2018 All-CAA Baseball Team
- Delaware Selected for Preseason WNIT
- Four CAA Tennis Players Receive ITA Regional Awards
- CAA Baseball Championship Gets Started On Wednesday
- Baseball Weekly Honors - May 21
- Hofstra, JMU End Seasons In Regionals
- Pairings Set For 2018 CAA Baseball Championship
- On to the NCAA Semifinals! No. 3 JMU Knocks Off No. 6 Florida to Advance
- Dukes Earn Victory In Postseason Opener, Pride Fall In Extras
- Seven Earn IL Women Media All-American Honors