Aug 13, 2014, 2:11 PM EDT
Two current CAA men’s golfers — CofC rising senior Zach Munroe and Drexel rising junior Chris Crawford — and one former standout (2013 CofC graduate, Alex Ellis), recently completed play at the 2014 U.S. Amateur Golf Championship at the historic Atlanta Athletic Club.
All three players competed over the course of the last two days in the championship’s stroke play portion, with Munroe registering a score of +18 (81, 78 = 159), Ellis carding a +9 (78, 74 = 152) and Crawford leading the group at +6 (73, 76 = 149).
Impressively, it was Crawford’s third appearance in the amateur over the last four years, Ellis’ third straight appearance and Munroe’s second career showing in the annual summer championship.
This past season, Munroe was named to the All-CAA Second Team and earned Division I PING All-Region Team honors. The Cougars won their first ever CAA title in their inaugural season in the league. Crawford, the 2013 CAA Rookie of the Year in men’s golf, earned first team All-CAA honors this spring.
CofC’s athletic department has a great photo gallery featuring Ellis and Munroe which can be seen below. The athletic department also highlighted both players’ accomplishments following Day 1 results.
- Ryder, Shorey Named Student-Athletes Of The Year
- UD's DeLuca Earns USILA National Defensive Player of the Week
- TU's Alexander, Elon's Mactas Share Golfer of the Week
- WM's Choi Named Golfer of the Week
- Men's and Women's Tennis Weekly Honors - March 28
- Track & Field Weekly Honors - March 28
- Baseball Weekly Honors - March 27
- Softball Weekly Honors - March 27
- Women's Lacrosse Weekly Report - March 27
- Men's Lacrosse Weekly Report - March 27