Aug 4, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
Three current members of the Drexel University Dragons softball team are headed to Bogota, Colombia, from Aug. 1-12 to play in the 2014 South American Softball Championships as members of the Brazilian National team.
The student-athletes, Leticia Matsuoka, Kim Chan head to Colombia along with current DU assistant coach Ninjja Suetsugu and recent graduate Rose Portiolli, with a chance to square off versus teams from Argentina, Aruba, Colombia, Peru and the Dominican Republic.
Drexel head coach Miranda Ervin said on drexeldragons.com, “I could not be prouder to have Ninjja, Leti, Kim and Rose representing Drexel for the Brazilian national team in the South American games. They are true competitors and make everyone around them better. I wish them the best of luck!”
Chan was named to the CAA All-Rookie team last spring after registering the team’s second-leading batting average (.295) over 30 starts and 39 games played. Matsuoka started every game for the Dragons in 2014, leading the squad in average (.301), runs (26), hits (37) and doubles (13).
Amazingly, Matsuoka has previously played on her country’s U-16 and U-19 teams since 2011, while Suetsugunhas been a member of Brazil’s various teams since she was 14, according to Drexel’s release.
- Elon's Cheek Named National Freshman Of The Week
- Record-Tying Seven CAA Teams In Top 25 Poll
- CAA Football Media Teleconference - Oct. 23
- Volleyball Weekly Honors - Oct. 23
- Men's Soccer Weekly Honors - Oct. 23
- Women's Soccer Weekly Honors - Oct. 23
- CAA Football Weekly Awards - Oct. 23
- Women's Soccer #CAAChamps Pairings Set
- CAA Football Rewind - Oct. 21
- CAA Weekend Preview - Oct. 20