Aug 4, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
Three current members of the Drexel University Dragons softball team are headed to Bogota, Colombia, from Aug. 1-12 to play in the 2014 South American Softball Championships as members of the Brazilian National team.
The student-athletes, Leticia Matsuoka, Kim Chan head to Colombia along with current DU assistant coach Ninjja Suetsugu and recent graduate Rose Portiolli, with a chance to square off versus teams from Argentina, Aruba, Colombia, Peru and the Dominican Republic.
Drexel head coach Miranda Ervin said on drexeldragons.com, “I could not be prouder to have Ninjja, Leti, Kim and Rose representing Drexel for the Brazilian national team in the South American games. They are true competitors and make everyone around them better. I wish them the best of luck!”
Chan was named to the CAA All-Rookie team last spring after registering the team’s second-leading batting average (.295) over 30 starts and 39 games played. Matsuoka started every game for the Dragons in 2014, leading the squad in average (.301), runs (26), hits (37) and doubles (13).
Amazingly, Matsuoka has previously played on her country’s U-16 and U-19 teams since 2011, while Suetsugunhas been a member of Brazil’s various teams since she was 14, according to Drexel’s release.
- #CAAFB 12 Teams In 12 Days Preview - Villanova
- Delaware, JMU Ranked In NFHCA Top 25 Poll
- Towson Names Lisa Ferrero WGOLF Coach
- #CAAFB 12 Teams In 12 Days Preview - Towson
- #CAAHoopsUnder25 Charleston vs UNCW
- Women's Soccer Weekly Report - Aug. 21
- #CAAFB 12 Teams In 12 Days Preview - Stony Brook
- Byrne Named MLL Rookie of the Year
- CAA Announces Launch Of New OTT Applications
- CofC Picked to Win 2017 VB Title