Aug 4, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
Three current members of the Drexel University Dragons softball team are headed to Bogota, Colombia, from Aug. 1-12 to play in the 2014 South American Softball Championships as members of the Brazilian National team.
The student-athletes, Leticia Matsuoka, Kim Chan head to Colombia along with current DU assistant coach Ninjja Suetsugu and recent graduate Rose Portiolli, with a chance to square off versus teams from Argentina, Aruba, Colombia, Peru and the Dominican Republic.
Drexel head coach Miranda Ervin said on drexeldragons.com, “I could not be prouder to have Ninjja, Leti, Kim and Rose representing Drexel for the Brazilian national team in the South American games. They are true competitors and make everyone around them better. I wish them the best of luck!”
Chan was named to the CAA All-Rookie team last spring after registering the team’s second-leading batting average (.295) over 30 starts and 39 games played. Matsuoka started every game for the Dragons in 2014, leading the squad in average (.301), runs (26), hits (37) and doubles (13).
Amazingly, Matsuoka has previously played on her country’s U-16 and U-19 teams since 2011, while Suetsugunhas been a member of Brazil’s various teams since she was 14, according to Drexel’s release.
- Ryder, Shorey Named Student-Athletes Of The Year
- UD's DeLuca Earns USILA National Defensive Player of the Week
- TU's Alexander, Elon's Mactas Share Golfer of the Week
- WM's Choi Named Golfer of the Week
- Men's and Women's Tennis Weekly Honors - March 28
- Track & Field Weekly Honors - March 28
- Baseball Weekly Honors - March 27
- Softball Weekly Honors - March 27
- Women's Lacrosse Weekly Report - March 27
- Men's Lacrosse Weekly Report - March 27