Jul 14, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Two College of Charleston rising golf seniors and one former Cougar recently qualified for the Men’s and Women’s 2014 U.S. Golf Amateur Championship.
On the men’s side, rising senior Zach Munroe earned a spot for the second time of his career — the last coming in 2012, where he reached the Round of 16 — after some stellar play last week in Boston at the George Wright Golf Course. He shot an even-par 140 overall and was one of just three players to qualify at par or better following 36 holes played.
Munroe joined former teammate and 2014 CofC graduate Alex Ellis as the other Cougar to qualify for the Amateur Open. Impressively, this is Ellis’ third straight trip to the exclusive amateur championship. Ellis carded a total score of 141 (-3) to earn a three-way tie for first at the Club at Comache Trace in his home state of Texas last week.
Both Munroe and Ellis played a large role in helping the CofC men’s golf team win the 2014 CAA title in its inaugural season in the league. The Cougars made their first team appearance in the NCAA Regionals since 2003.
The men’s amateur championship takes place at Atlanta Athletic Club from Aug. 11-17.
Representing the College on the women’s side will be rising senior C.C. Buford, who clinched a spot in the Women’s U.S. Open after parring the first hole of a playoff at Pinehurst Country Club in Denver, Colo. She is just the second female Cougar to compete in the Amateur Open and first since 2005.
The 2014 U.S. Women’s Amateur will be held from Aug. 4-10 at Nassau Country Club in Glen Cove, N.Y.
Many other CAA men’s and women’s golfers will have a shot at qualifying over the next couple of weeks so be sure to check back here on the blog and on the new caasports.com for news and other updates.
- JMU Holds One Stroke Lead After Exciting #CAAChamps Second Round
- Charleston, W&M, JMU And Elon Advance To Women's Tennis Semifinals
- Drexel Joins Top Three Seeds In CAA Men's Tennis Semifinals
- JMU Leads After First Round of Men's Golf Championship
- CAA Weekend Preview - April 20
- Towson Tops Hofstra In CAA Women's Tennis Opener
- Buresch, Dandola Named NFCA Freshman of the Year Candidates
- Men's Golf Championship Begins Friday Morning
- Two #CAALax Players Taken in MLL Collegiate Draft
- CAA Tennis Championships Start Thursday