Apr 24, 2014, 12:24 AM EDT
Nationally-ranked Hofstra and Drexel each picked up conference wins last weekend to clinch the top two seeds of the upcoming CAA Championship. Both teams earned the right to host a semifinal contest, as Hofstra earned the No. 1 seed and Drexel locked in No.2. Both semifinal contests will be played at their respective host sites on April 30 at 7 p.m. Hofstra is on a six-game winning-streak, while Drexel has won five straight and Penn State has put together back-to-back wins as the league heads into the final week of the regular season.
HU is returning to the CAA Championship for the first time since 2011. Towson has also earned a spot in the tournament, but the Tigers’ seed has not been set. UMass and Delaware each have a chance to earn the last spot in the tournament with a win this weekend, as they play each other. Full CAA Championship info can be found as it becomes available on #CAAChamps Central.
Leading the Pride to a victory last weekend and securing the No. 1 seed in the tournament was junior midfielder Mike Malave. The junior earned CAA Men’s Lacrosse Player of the Week honors after recording a career-best five goals.
Helping the Dragons secure the No. 2 seed was freshman attack Cole Shafer. He recorded six points during the road win over Towson. Cole scored five times and dished out an assist. The rookie opened play by posting a hat trick in the first quarter.
You can read more about CAA Men’s Lacrosse Weekly honorees on CAASports.com.
Hofstra (12/11) continued to be ranked both national polls for the third straight week, while Drexel improved to No. 16 in both polls. UMass held received votes in the Warrior/Inside Lacross Media Poll and the USILA Coaches Poll this week.
- CAA Weekend Preview - March 24-26
- TU's Saunderson Competes at NCAA Championships
- JMU Falls to Villanova in Overtime
- CAA Football Announces Academic All-Conference Team
- Grant, 10 Players Earn NABC All-District Honors
- CofC's Rainey Named Golfer of the Week
- CofC's Fuenfstueck Earns Golfer of the Week
- Track & Field Weekly Honors - March 21
- Men's and Women's Tennis Weekly Honors - March 21
- Hofstra's Parrella Named National Rookie of the Week