Apr 23, 2014, 5:04 PM EDT
Good goalkeeping is hard to come find. It’s often a position that gets easily overlooked, especially in today’s women’s lacrosse game, dictated by high-flying offense and quick scoring systems.
This week’s CAA women’s lacrosse DPOTW, not surprisingly, is a goalie. Schylar Healy of James Madison earned the honor, becoming the only CAA netminder to earn the award twice this season. Healy played in all 120 total minutes of play over two Dukes’ wins, both coming in 17-7 fashion over Drexel and Hofstra. Madison enters the CAA Championship as the No. 2 overall seed and will face Delaware in semifinal number two on Friday, May 2.
Healy, a junior, has played and started all 16 games for JMU this season, making 128 saves for a .444 save percentage.
Healy’s teammate Stephanie Finley was a force on the other side of the ball for JMU last week, netting five goals and dishing out one helper. Even more telling? Finley grabbed eight total draw controls and now owns 57 on the season, good for a new program single-year record. That proved to be enough to warrant Finley’s recognition for POTW.
Last, and not least, this week’s rookie nod went to a player who helped her squad win their first and only league win of the season. Abby Junior of William & Mary won the honor after collecting three ground balls, three draw controls and three caused turnovers, all coming if a 11-10 double-OT win over Drexel at home last Sunday. The Tribe close out their season in non-conference versus ODU.
William & Mary’s big win also helped produce the weekly #CAASports WLAX Tweet of the Week seen below.
The full CAA Championship field will be determined on Saturday, with the victor of Hofstra at Drexel coming in with the No. 4 seed. That team will play top-seeded Towson on Friday, May 2 in the first semifinal.
- Towson Tabs Diane Richardson As WBB Head Coach
- Seven Nominated by Schools for NCAA Woman of the Year
- CAA Hosts Successful SAAC Summit
- #CAAHoopsUnder25 Northeastern at CofC
- Nauck Attends Women's Sports Awards Ceremony
- Rome Earns Second Straight Athlete of the Year Honor
- Holmes, Frenia Headline 2017 Men's T&F Honors
- CAA Hosts SAAC Leadership Summit June 23-25
- Towson Selects Matt Tyner As New Baseball Coach
- CAA Names Spring Scholar-Athlete Award Winners