Apr 15, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
Three teams have secured a spot in the upcoming CAA Championship – Hofstra (3-0 CAA), who clinched two weeks ago, was joined by Drexel (2-1 CAA) and Towson (2-2 CAA) this past weekend. The Pride, who did not made the CAA Championship in 2012 or 2013, will look to clinch the top spot with a win over UMass this weekend – although the Minutemen will be a tough battle as they are fighting for the last spot in the four-team tournament. Drexel will try to earn a home contest in the semifinals with a win over Towson this weekend. Keep an eye on the CAA Men’s Lacrosse Championship webpage for full details as they come about for the semifinals (April 30 at highest two seeds) and the championship game (May 3 at highest remaining seed).
The Pride went 2-0 last week, including a strong 10-9 overtime win at home against No. 6 Cornell. Junior midfielder Mike Malave scored the game-winning goal for Hofstra with 44 seconds into the extra period. Along with his game-winner, Malave also added five other goals and one assist on the week to earn a share of CAA MLax Player of the Week honors. Check out Malave’s game-winner below provided by Salisbury Studios.
Also joining Malave in earning Player of the Week honors was Penn State goalkeeper Austin Kaut. The senior keeper earned POW accolades after a stellar performance while saving all 11 shots faced against No. 19 Towson in an 8-1 road victory.
Earning Rookie of the Week honors for the second straight week was PSU’s Mike Sutton. He scored a pair of goals for the Nittany Lions during the second quarter in the 8-1 conference victory over the Tigers. Over the past two weeks, Sutton has averaged 3.5 goals per game.
You can read more about CAA Men’s Lacrosse Weekly honorees on CAASports.com.
Hofstra (12/11) continued to be ranked both national polls for the third straight week, while Drexel leaped into both polls for the first time since March 3rd at No. 18. UMass held onto a No. 20 ranking in the Warrior/Inside Lacross Media Poll. The Minutemen are joined by Towson and Penn State in receiving votes in the USILA Coaches Poll this week.
- JMU Knocks Off UNC to Advance to NCAA Championship Title Game
- All crews advance to C/D Semifinals on Day One at NCAAs
- Farrell Leads Northeastern To 7-2 Victory Over Delaware
- CAA Baseball Championship Game Moved Up To 11 AM On Saturday
- UNCW Advances To Fourth Straight CAA Title Game With 11-3 Win Over Elon
- Miller Drives In Three As Delaware Defeats Charleston, 5-1
- JMU's Elena Romesburg Receives NCAA Elite 90 Award
- Oldham's Walk-Off Single In The 12th Gives Elon 3-2 Victory Over Charleston
- UNCW Knocks Off Northeastern, 9-2, Behind Royalty's Complete Game
- NU Opens NCAA Rowing Championship on Friday