Apr 8, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Lots of games were crossed off the schedule last week as CAA Softball squads went 17-3 in non-conference action to take the overall mark in NC play to 116-74 overall. In CAA action, James Madison took the three-game series from Towson, while Hofstra finally opened conference play and swept UNCW. Delaware earned a pair of wins over Drexel, while College of Charleston had the week off of league action.
With the sweep of Towson, James Madison’s Caitlyn Sandy earned CAA Player of the Week, while Jailyn Ford shared CAA Pitcher of the Week honors. Sandy helped the Dukes to a 5-0 week with wins over Virginia Tech as well. The senior shortstop went 8-for-16 at the plate, including a pair of homers and a double, while adding six runs and six RBI. Ford posted a 2-0 record with a save in the circle during 11.2 IP. She finished the week with a 0.00 ERA after fanning 11 batters and walking three in her three appearances.
Also earning CAA Pitcher of the Week accolades was Delaware sophomore Kelly Lupton. She also went 2-0 and a tallied a save. Lupton finished the week with a 0.36 ERA, while giving up just one run during her 19.2 innings of work. She also sat down 11 batters on “K’s”. Picking up the Rookie of the Week honors was Hofstra’s Lacey Clark after she helped the Pride going 5-1 on the week, including a sweep of UNCW. The rookie went 5-13 at the plate and added five RBI, a pair of doubles and a home run on the week.
To read more about each of these award winners, check out CAASports.com.
James Madison, with a recent upset win over nationally-ranked Oregon and a conference sweep of CAA prennial powerhouse Hofstra, continues to receive votes in the USA Today/NFCA Coaches Poll. The Dukes also returned to earning votes in the ESPN.com/USA Softball Poll.
- Towson Tabs Diane Richardson As WBB Head Coach
- Seven Nominated by Schools for NCAA Woman of the Year
- CAA Hosts Successful SAAC Summit
- #CAAHoopsUnder25 Northeastern at CofC
- Nauck Attends Women's Sports Awards Ceremony
- Rome Earns Second Straight Athlete of the Year Honor
- Holmes, Frenia Headline 2017 Men's T&F Honors
- CAA Hosts SAAC Leadership Summit June 23-25
- Towson Selects Matt Tyner As New Baseball Coach
- CAA Names Spring Scholar-Athlete Award Winners