Mar 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
William and Mary junior Michael Katz is putting together one of the top seasons of any collegiate baseball player in the nation. According to the latest NCAA stats through games of March 23, the Tribe first baseman/outfielder is leading the nation in home runs (12), RBI’s (47), total bases (84), runs per game (1.55) and slugging percentage (.857). He’s also third in total runs (34), sixth in hits (40) and 37th in batting average (.408).
Katz, who has earned back-to-back National Player of the Week honors from Collegiate Baseball newspaper, reached the 50 RBI mark in Monday’s loss to Brown, where he went 4-for-5 and raised his batting average to .427.
Along with Katz, several other CAA players rank among the top 20 in the latest national stats.
Offensively, W&M’s Ryan Lindemuth and Nick Thompson are 4th and 5th respectively in runs and Thompson is also 19th in on base percentage (.533).
JMU’s Ty McFarland is 12th in home runs (6) and 8th in runs (30), while teammate Matt Tenaglia ranks 15th in RBI’s per game (1.24).
On the mound, UNCW reliever Kelly Secrest is tied for 5th in the nation with 8 wins, College of Charleston pitcher Bailey Ober is 16th in WHIP (0.74) and 17th in strikeout-to-walk ratio (10.33) and Delaware hurler Chad Martin is 6th in hits allowed per 9 innings (3.94).
As a team, William & Mary leads the nation in batting (.341) and doubles (68), ranks third in runs (216) and on base percentage (.428) and is fifth in home runs (25).
- CAA Weekend Preview - March 24-26
- TU's Saunderson Competes at NCAA Championships
- JMU Falls to Villanova in Overtime
- CAA Football Announces Academic All-Conference Team
- Grant, 10 Players Earn NABC All-District Honors
- CofC's Rainey Named Golfer of the Week
- CofC's Fuenfstueck Earns Golfer of the Week
- Track & Field Weekly Honors - March 21
- Men's and Women's Tennis Weekly Honors - March 21
- Hofstra's Parrella Named National Rookie of the Week