Mar 12, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
A little delayed this week with our report, thanks to #CAAHoops men’s and women’s tournaments, but what a week in women’s lacrosse for many teams. JMU earned another victory versus a top-ten ranked foe, downing the-No. 9 Penn State, while Hofstra and Delaware went 2-0 over the week to get back on track.
Check out the full report for the week of March 10.
Co-PLAYERS OF THE WEEK:
Brittain Altomare • Hofstra
Wolfsville, Md./Middletown, Jr., Attacker
Altomare compiled 14 points on seven goals and seven assists in Hofstra’s 2-0 week. The junior attacker also contributed seven draw controls and two ground balls. Altomare had three goals and two assists in a 9-3 victory over Marist and followed with a career-best four goals, five assists and five draw controls as the Pride rolled past Quinnipiac, 13-7. She has a team-high 30 points for the year with 16 goals and 14 assists.
Casey Lyons • Delaware
Georgetown, Ontario (Canada)/Berkshire, So., Midfielder
Lyons turned in back-to-back five-goal games in Delaware’s victories over La Salle (18-7) and Villanova (11-8). It was the first time since 2004 that a Blue Hens’ player recorded at least five goals in consecutive contests. She also contributed two assists versus La Salle to complete a 12-point week and the seven points tied a Delaware Stadium record. Lyons has recorded three hat tricks this season.
DEFENDER OF THE WEEK:
Hannah Verschoore • James Madison
Bel Air, Md./John Carroll, Jr., Defender
Verschoore had a team-high six ground balls and a team-best four caused turnovers as JMU split a pair of games last week. In the Dukes’ 11-10 victory over 9th-ranked Penn State, she had four ground balls, two caused turnovers and scored her first goal of the season. Verschoore also had two ground balls and two caused turnovers in a 14-13 double-overtime setback at Connecticut.
ROOKIE OF THE WEEK:
Tiana Parrella • Hofstra
Miller Place, N.Y./Miller Place, Fr., Attacker
Parrella contributed three goals and a pair of ground balls in Hofstra’s two victories. She scored two goals, including the game-winner, in a 9-3 triumph over Marist, and scored on her only shot in a 13-7 win over Quinnipiac.
- Miller Drives In Three As Delaware Defeats Charleston, 5-1
- JMU's Elena Romesburg Receives NCAA Elite 90 Award
- Oldham's Walk-Off Single In The 12th Gives Elon 3-2 Victory Over Charleston
- UNCW Knocks Off Northeastern, 9-2, Behind Royalty's Complete Game
- NU Opens NCAA Rowing Championship on Friday
- Four Named USILA All-Americans
- No. 3 JMU Readies for NCAA WLAX Semifinals
- Stellar Pitching Performance Gives Delaware 3-1 Victory Over Hofstra
- Charleston Hits Four Homers To Power Past Hofstra, 10-3
- Weiss' Walk-Off Double Lifts UNCW Past Delaware, 2-1, In Baseball Opener