Feb 25, 2014, 3:08 PM EDT
Redemption and experience played a huge factor with all of this week’s CAA women’s lacrosse award winners.
Take for example, the Player of the Week, — Andi Raymond of Towson, via Ada, Mich./Rockford, R-Jr., Attacker — she missed all of the 2013 season due to injury, but opened 2014 with vengeance this week. Raymond immediately stood out over Towson’s first two games of 2014, tallying a total of eight goals and dishing out four assists as the Tigers downed UMBC and then-No. 10 ranked Georgetown. Raymond recorded five points (4 G, 1 A) versus the Retrievers and seven points (4 G, 3 A) in the upset win over the Hoyas. The scary thing? Towson was still pretty darn good last year without Raymond, so imagine the possibilities this season.
On the defensive side, Hofstra junior April Iannetta (Wantagh, N.Y./Wantagh, Jr., Defender), the 2014 CAA Co-Preseason Player of the Year, proved her versatlity on the defensive side over a 2-0 week for the Pride. The junior combined to win eight draw controls, cause five turnovers and pick up four ground balls as Hofstra beat Fairfield and Colgate to earn two big wins. She leads her team in draw controls (10) and caused turnovers (five) this season over three games.
Experience in a different light was a theme for this week’s Co-Rookie honoress — Caroline Thiele of Drexel and Gabby Cha of Towson. Drexel only played once, but Thiele’s performance couldn’t go unnoticed. She helped Drexel move to 2-0 for the seventh straight year thanks to some defensive excellence, causing five turnovers and picking up seven ground balls in a 9-5 win over Saint Joseph’s. Cha, on the other hand, came off the bench to help spark Towson, totaling three goals and one assist over the 2-0 week. After scoring once versus UMBC, she tallied two goals and one helper in the huge win over Georgetown.
Towson’s huge week continued as HC Sonia LaMonica earned the coveted “Tweet of the Week” honor …
#CAASports WLAX Tweet of the Week:
From @slamonica1 – “A well earned victory for our @Towson_WLAX warriors today. Rest up. #OnwardAndUpward.” Thta was following the win over the then-ranked No.10 Georgetown Hoyas.
Fact of the Week: Towson’s win over then-No. 10 Georgetown was the highest ranked foe the Tigers have defeated since beating then-No. 9 JMU in 2011.
Click here to read the full weekly report.
- JMU Knocks Off UNC to Advance to NCAA Championship Title Game
- All crews advance to C/D Semifinals on Day One at NCAAs
- Farrell Leads Northeastern To 7-2 Victory Over Delaware
- CAA Baseball Championship Game Moved Up To 11 AM On Saturday
- UNCW Advances To Fourth Straight CAA Title Game With 11-3 Win Over Elon
- Miller Drives In Three As Delaware Defeats Charleston, 5-1
- JMU's Elena Romesburg Receives NCAA Elite 90 Award
- Oldham's Walk-Off Single In The 12th Gives Elon 3-2 Victory Over Charleston
- UNCW Knocks Off Northeastern, 9-2, Behind Royalty's Complete Game
- NU Opens NCAA Rowing Championship on Friday