Feb 11, 2014, 4:33 PM EST
The first weekend of softball for 2014 is in the books. Five of the league’s seven teams opened their season, with Drexel and Hofstra waiting until this next week to send some yellow balls over the fence. The Towson Tigers opened their 2014 season with a 3-1 mark, including an 18-6 five-inning victory over North Carolina Central at the USC Upstate Classic. Delaware and James Madison may have come out of the weekend with a 1-4 record, but they definitely battled some tough nationally-ranked squads. The Blue Hens faced UCLA, who had a preseason ranking of No. 13, twice and the Dukes saw the 21st-ranked Georgia Bulldogs for a pair of outings as well.
Towson’s Missy McCormick hit an impressive .533 while at the plate scoring five runs on eight hits. She also finished the week with 13 RBI to help her cause to earn CAA Softball Player of the Week. JMU’s Jailyn Ford was named CAA Pitcher of the Week after making three appearances for the Dukes and producing a 1.03 ERA over 20.1 innings pitched. UNCW’s Peyton Jordan earned CAA Rookie of the Week after not allowing an earned run during her 12.1 innings of work for the Seahawks. She also fanned 10 batters and walked just two on the week. Read more about these three student-athlete honorees on CAASports.com.
The Pride, who earned votes in the preseason, will open play next week along with Drexel. To check out the early stats between the conference teams and how teams and individuals line up after the first week, visit CAASports.com.
- Swimming/Diving Weekly Honors - Nov. 24
- This Week In CAA Football - Playoff Preview #1
- Lauletta, Ankrah Lead CAAFB All-Conference Team
- Four CAAFB Teams In Final Regular-Season Polls
- Men's Basketball Weekly Honors - Nov. 20
- Women's Basketball Weekly Report - Nov. 20
- CAA Football Media Teleconference - Nov. 20
- CAA Football Weekly Awards - Nov. 20
- UNCW Edged By UNC 2-1 in NCAA Second Round
- Four CAAFB Teams Receive FCS Playoff Berths