Jan 22, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
The league thought it would change things up a little on Hump Day, giving Bobby Broyles a breather while Tim McDonnell debuts his own edition of the #CAAMinute.
McDonnell kicks things with the CAA’s announcement of releasing the 2014 men’s lacrosse preseason poll, as Penn State was selected to finish first in a vote by the league’s head coaches. Towson, last year’s CAA champ, was picked to finish second and Drexel followed behind to round out the top-3.
Keeping the theme going, McDonnell switches to CAA baseball talk — yes, baseball season is already nearing — as two-time defending regular season champion UNCW was picked to finish first in the 2014 preseason poll, also determined in a vote by the league’s head coaches. Conference newcomer, College of Charleston, was picked to finish second, followed by William & Mary and Towson. The Tigers surprisingly captured the 2013 title one year ago.
In CAA swimming/diving news, UNCW’s Valtteri Halonen earned his fifth men’s Swimmer of the Week nod of the season, while Northeastern junior Anna Schegoleva and James Madison redshirt freshman Taryn McLaughlin grabbed women’s Swimmer and Diver of the Week honors, respectively.
McDonnell wraps up the minute by encouraging fans to watch the on-going #CAAHoops On Campus/In Focus features. This week, we told the touching stories of Northeastern women’s basketball associate head coach Tom Blake, who’s been able to find comfort from the Husky family in a difficult time as a coach and parent as well as our piece on Northeastern men’s basketball and the team’s special role player, Max Plansky, who provides motivation and leadership from the sidelines. Watch #TeamBlake on the Baseline Buzz. Watch Max Plansky: Making an Impact on Hoop Scoop. You can always stay up-to-date with CAA basketball via Twitter by following @CAABasketball and using the official league hashtag, #CAAHoops.
- Miller Drives In Three As Delaware Defeats Charleston, 5-1
- JMU's Elena Romesburg Receives NCAA Elite 90 Award
- Oldham's Walk-Off Single In The 12th Gives Elon 3-2 Victory Over Charleston
- UNCW Knocks Off Northeastern, 9-2, Behind Royalty's Complete Game
- NU Opens NCAA Rowing Championship on Friday
- Four Named USILA All-Americans
- No. 3 JMU Readies for NCAA WLAX Semifinals
- Stellar Pitching Performance Gives Delaware 3-1 Victory Over Hofstra
- Charleston Hits Four Homers To Power Past Hofstra, 10-3
- Weiss' Walk-Off Double Lifts UNCW Past Delaware, 2-1, In Baseball Opener