Jan 15, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT
RICHMOND, Va. (January 14, 2014) – William & Mary sophomore Billy Russell and Towson University senior Alex Cohen were named CAA Men’s Swimmer and Diver of the Week, respectively, on Tuesday.
Russell, who earns his second Swimmer of the Week honor of the season after claiming the same distinction on Nov. 12, helped the Tribe easily defeat Davidson, 169-93, over the weekend in Williamsburg. The Newport News, Va., native captured first-place finishes individually in the 50 free and 100 fly, then anchored a leg on the 200 free relay, which clocked a winning time of 1:25.59.
Russell cruised in the 50 free in just 20.81 seconds, good for the second-fastest league time this season for the event, as well as the second-fastest time for a dual-meet in school history. Later, Russell completed the 100 fly in 51.36 seconds before swimming the leg on the aforementioned 200 free relay team, upping his season wins total to 13.
Cohen continues to shine in his final season for the Tigers and now has won five weekly diving honors. Towson not only is off to a 9-1 start to the season, but Cohen has added to one of the best starts in program history by continually improving on the board.
Cohen set new school records in both the one- and three-meter dive, registering impressive scores of 308.85 and 339.83, respectively. The Maryland native also held the previous program records before Saturday’s meet versus George Mason.
Other noteworthy performances from around the CAA last week included Drexel sophomore Joel Berryman’s first-place finishes in the 50 free (21.34) and 200 back (1:52.18) and Delaware freshman Alex Hillsley’s 100 free (47.05) and 200 IM (1:55.58) title-earning finishes.
- CAA Weekend Preview - March 24-26
- TU's Saunderson Competes at NCAA Championships
- JMU Falls to Villanova in Overtime
- CAA Football Announces Academic All-Conference Team
- Grant, 10 Players Earn NABC All-District Honors
- CofC's Rainey Named Golfer of the Week
- CofC's Fuenfstueck Earns Golfer of the Week
- Track & Field Weekly Honors - March 21
- Men's and Women's Tennis Weekly Honors - March 21
- Hofstra's Parrella Named National Rookie of the Week