Jan 12, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT
Five CAA men’s lacrosse players were drafted in the Major League Lacrosse draft Friday (Jan. 10) evening. The premier outdoor lacrosse league held its 14th annual Collegiate Draft at the U.S. Lacrosse Convention in Philadelphia.
Towson’s Thomas DeNapoli was the league’s highest pick going in the second round, 15th overall, to the Charlotte Hounds. He is the 11th Tiger taken in the MLL’s collegiate draft and first since 2011 (Peter Mezzanotte ’11 to Long Island). Only Ben DeFelice ’05 (10th overall to the now-defunct Philadelphia Barrage) has been chosen higher in the draft for Towson. DeNapoli is the third Towson player to be chosen in the second round; no Tiger has gone in the first round.
Penn State’s Austin Kaut was the 19th pick in the third round by the Boston Cannons. Also drafted from PSU was Tom LaCrosse, who went 60th overall in the 8th round by the Rochester Rattlers. It was the first time in Penn State history two Nittany Lions were taken in the collegiate draft.
James Connelly of Delaware was selected by the Denver Outlaws as the 43rd pick in the sixth round, while Drexel’s Ben McIntosh was the Outlaws 62nd pick in the eighth round. It’s the fifth straight year that the Blue Hens have had a player drafted in the MLL and Drexel has seen five players selected in the draft since 2007, included a pair in 2007 – Adam Crystal and Mike Fillipone.
The full list of draft results can be found on MajorLeagueLacrosse.com
The CAA men’s lacrosse squads will open their spring season on Feb. 1 as Delaware hosts High Point at 1 p.m. A number of the league teams will start a week later on Feb. 8.
- CAA Weekend Preview - March 24-26
- TU's Saunderson Competes at NCAA Championships
- JMU Falls to Villanova in Overtime
- CAA Football Announces Academic All-Conference Team
- Grant, 10 Players Earn NABC All-District Honors
- CofC's Rainey Named Golfer of the Week
- CofC's Fuenfstueck Earns Golfer of the Week
- Track & Field Weekly Honors - March 21
- Men's and Women's Tennis Weekly Honors - March 21
- Hofstra's Parrella Named National Rookie of the Week