Dec 2, 2013, 1:09 PM EDT
Richmond, Va. (December 2, 2013) –
CofC Draws 16th-Seeded Duke In NCAA Tournament: College of Charleston, the 2013 CAA volleyball champions, will travel to Duke University for the first round of the NCAA Volleyball Tournament, as announced on ESPNU on Sunday, Dec. 1. The Cougars and Blue Devils will face off on Friday, Dec. 6 at 7:30 p.m. in Cameron Indoor Stadium. CofC (25-5) squares off versus the ACC Champion Blue Devils (27-4) in the first round of the tournament, while Georgia (22-9) faces American (32-2) in the other side of the quadrant. Charleston was selected as the four seed in the grouping, while Duke is the 16th national seed, the lowest-seeded host in the tournament.
CAA Championship Recap: Top seed and conference newcomer College of Charleston outlasted second-seeded Northeastern (3-1) in the title match of the 2013 Colonial Athletic Association Volleyball Championship on Saturday at the North Charleston Convention Center in North Charleston, S.C. The Cougars earn the league’s automatic bid and will represent the CAA in the NCAA Tournament.
College of Charleston took the match by set scores of 27-25, 27-25, 19-25, 25-23 and improved to 25-5 on the year. Northeastern, which was the only team in the CAA to defeat the Cougars in league regular season play, fell just short in its bid for the school’s first CAA volleyball crown. The Huskies finished the season at 19-11.
Tournament Most Outstanding Player Darcy Dorton led the CofC charge with a team-high 19 kills and also had 13 digs. Junior Sloane White and sophomore Melissa Morello each notched double-doubles, with White registering 15 kills and 10 digs and Morello providing 13 kills and 14 digs. The Cougars amazingly played in their 13th straight conference title match (dating back to their time in the SoCon).
NU’s Kelly Bacon recorded her second straight double-double of the weekend, leading all players with 20 kills while chipping in 16 digs in the final match of her illustrious career. CAA Rookie of the Year Jamie Bredahl tallied 13 kills, 23 assists and six digs, while senior Nichole Kurz finished with 12 kills in defeat.
CAA QUICK HITS:
• College of Charleston, the 2013 CAA volleyball champions, will travel to Duke University for the first round of the NCAA Volleyball Tournament, as announced on ESPNU on Sunday, Dec. 1. The Cougars and Blue Devils will face off on Friday, Dec. 6 at 7:30 p.m. in Cameron Indoor Stadium.
• The Cougars, making their second consecutive trip to the NCAA Tournament, and eighth in the last 13 years, earned the program’s second NCAA tournament win last season, beating Miami (Fla.), 3-1, in the first round.
• CofC is 0-3 all-time versus Duke, with the last tilt coming in 2009 — also at Duke. The Cougs have also impressively won 13 straight conference regular season or tournament titles, the second-longest streak in Division I.
• Hofstra captured the 2012 CAA Volleyball title and advanced to the NCAA tournament before falling to Florida State (3-0) — also the ACC Champions — in the first round.
• It was an exciting weekend of CAA volleyball Championship action in North Charleston, S.C., from Nov. 22-24, as the hosts and top-seeded CofC Cougars defeated second-seeded Northeastern (3-1) in the title match to win the crown and automatic NCAA playoff bid.
• The title match featured 47 ties and 19 lead changes as three different sets were decided by two points. The Cougars and Huskies were nearly equal in kills (63-62) and both teams’ defenses held the other offense to under .250 hitting.
• Prior to the start of the championship, the CAA announced its All-CAA squads and major award winners. A banquet was held Thursday night on the U.S.S. Yorktown naval aircraft carrier in Mount Pleasant, S.C. CofC senior Darcy Dorton headlined the group after being named Player of the Year, while Cougars’ head coach Jason Kepner earned Coach of the Year honors and Cougars’ redshirt junior Kallie McKown was named Setter of the Year. Also receiving recognition was Northeastern’s Natalia Skiba (Defensive Specialist of the Year) and fellow Husky Jamie Bredahl (Rookie of the Year).
Upperclassmen Headline 2013 All-CAA First-Team: The 2013 All-CAA first-team is riddled with a number of talented upperclassmen. CofC led the way with two members on the squad, 2013 Player of the Year senior Darcy Dorton and junior Sloane White. Both led the Cougars in kills and kills per set. Hofstra junior Kelsie Wills, who led the CAA in kills and kills per set, was joined by fellow junior Lizzy Briones of JMU, who ranked second in the CAA in blocks. NU senior Kelly Bacon, the 2012 Player of the Year, ranked third in the CAA in points per set and was followed by UNCW stud Christi Laite, who became the first Seahawk to earn first-team recognition since 1993.
2013 NCAA Division I Volleyball Championship Tournament
First and Second Rounds – Dec. 5-6, 6-7
NCAA Championship First Round: Friday, Dec. 6
Coll. of Charleston at No. 16 seed Duke – 7:30 p.m.
Georgia and American play at 5:30, with both victors meeting in 2nd round on Dec. 7 at 6:00 p.m.
2013 CAA Volleyball Championship Hosted By CofC – North Charleston, S.C.
November 22 – Quarterfinals
#5 Hofstra def. #4 James Madison (3-0)
#3 UNCW def. #6 William & Mary (3-1)
November 23 – Semifinals
#1 Coll. of Charleston def. #5 Hofstra (3-0)
#2 Northeastern def. #3 UNCW (3-0)
November 24 – CAA Title Match
#1 Coll. of Charleston def. #2 Northeastern (3-1)
NCAA Division I RPI Rankings:
Coll. of Charleston – No. 65
Northeastern – No. 78
UNCW – No. 146
James Madison – No. 150
Hofstra – No. 201
Delaware – No. 213
William & Mary – No. 219
Towson – No. 221
*Updated Dec. 2, 2013
CAA INDIVIDUAL Statistic Leaders:
HITTING PERCENTAGE: College of Charleston’s Kerstin Koehler (.333 %).
KILLS: Hofstra’s Kelsie Wills (491, 4.27 per set).
ASSISTS: James Madison’s Kristi Richardson (701, 8.15 per set).
SERVICE ACES: College of Charleston’s Cara Howley (32, 0.32 per set).
BLOCKS: UNCW’s Meredeth Peacock (156, 1.54 per set).
DIGS: Northeastern’s Natalia Skiba (683, 5.60 per set).
POINTS: Hofstra’s Kelsie Wills (553, 4.81 per set).
*For matches through 11/24/2013
- Football Media Day Set For Tuesday
- CAA Social Showdown: William & Mary
- CAA Social Showdown: Towson
- Chad Holbrook Named CofC Head Baseball Coach
- #CAAHoopsUnder25 UNCW at Elon
- CAA Social Showdown: Northeastern
- Elon, UNCW, WM Earn GCAA All-Academic Team Honors
- Heck Named Assoc. Commissioner For Compliance
- Nine Named to NABC Honors Court
- CAA Social Showdown: UNCW