Nov 4, 2013, 3:49 PM EDT
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK:
Darcy Dorton • College of Charleston
Muncie, Ind. (Penn State)/Delta, R-Sr., Outside Hitter
Dorton claimed her third weekly honor of the season and first since Oct. 7 thanks to a standout offensive performance over the weekend. She helped the Cougars win both their matches — a 3-0 sweep of Delaware and a 3-1 win over Towson — en route to remaining perfect in league play with a 10-0 record. Dorton finished with 30 kills, hit .317 and averaged 4.29 kills per set. Versus the Tigers, the senior set a new career high with a .531 hitting percentage while committing just one error on 32 tries.
Co-DEFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK:
Meredith Peacock • UNCW
Charlotte, N.C./Hickory Grove, So., Middle Hitter
Peacock earned her first weekly nod of the season after continuing her solid efforts on the defensive side for UNCW. She totaled seven and six blocks versus Towson and Delaware, respectively, as the Seahawks earned consecutive sweeps over the weekend. He 13 total blocks allowed for an impressive 2.17 blocks per set average and gave her 126 for the season, good enough for the best mark in the CAA.
Carolyn Albright • William & Mary
Raleigh, N.C./Cardinal Gibbons, So., Middle Blocker
After winning defensive honors one week ago, Albright showcased her talents on the blocking end again to help her squad pick up two more wins. The sophomore finished with 14 total blocks (1.56 per set) as the Tribe won critical matches at home versus Northeastern and Hofstra. She also provided three digs and six kills over both matches as W&M moved into third place in the league standings.
ROOKIE OF THE WEEK:
Nicole Lott • UNCW
West Chester, Pa./Bishop Shanahan, Fr., Outside Hitter
Lott added to her growing list of accomplishments in her first year at UNCW by earning Rookie of the Week for the third time this season. The West Chester, Pa., native was nearly perfect offensively, totaling 28 kills and averaging 4.67 kills per set. She hit a staggering .444 and made a mere four errors on 54 attempts, also adding 11 digs and two blocks as the Seahawks earned two home league sweeps.
CAA QUICK HITS:
- There are a total of 15 matches remaining in the 2013 season, including 14 featuring league contests.
- It was the same story in a different week for the CofC Cougars, who remained unbeaten in league play (10-0), earning wins over Delaware and Towson at home.
- The Cougars have won 15 straight regular season matches in conference play dating back to their stint in the Southern Conference which ended last year.
- Dating back to their time in the SoCon and since 2011, CofC has not lost a road conference tilt in its last 18 matches.
- CofC, which improved to 20-4 overall, has won 20 matches six of the last seven seasons under coach Jason Kepner.
- Hofstra dropped both of its matches over the week, though junior Emily Burke had a career-high 19 kills in a 3-1 defeat versus William & Mary. Sophomore Kaitlyn Krause had 21 digs versus the Tribe, also a new career-high.
- UNCW went 2-0 last weekend with consecutive league sweeps of Towson and Delaware. Nicole Lott hit .444, averaged 4.67 kills per set and finished with 28 kills for the Seahawks. Meredith Peacock, the CAA blocks leader, had 11 over the week for a 2.17 per set average. Morgan Kline hit .347, had 22 digs and also provided five blocks as well over both matches.
- William & Mary went 2-0 as well this past weekend with wins over Northeastern and Hofstra. The Tribe rallied versus the Huskies from an 0-2 deficit, then defeated the Pride for the team’s fourth straight win. W&M is also 9-4 this season when winning the crucial third set of any match.
- The Tribe’s five-set win over NU set a new school record for five-set matches in a season (10).
- Freshman Tribe outside hitter Michelle Heath turned out a solid week all around. She had 25 kills (2.78 per set), 23 digs and five blocks over both matches.
- Northeastern split two matches on the road over the weekend. The Huskies fell to W&M (3-2) but defeated JMU (3-0). Freshman Jamie Bredahl had a triple-double and a double-double, respectively, versus the Tribe and Dukes.
- NU’s Natalia Skiba was solid defensively over both matches, registering 51 digs (one error on 43 attempts) over eight sets for a 6.38 per set average.
CAA INDIVIDUAL Statistic Leaders:
Hitting percentage: College of Charleston’s Kerstin Koehler (.356 %).
KILLS: Hofstra’s Kelsie Wills (415, 4.32 per set).
ASSISTS: Delaware’s Mackenzie Olsen (733, 9.64 per set).
SERVICE ACES: UNCW’s Nicole Lott (24, 0.33 per set).
BLOCKS: UNCW’s Merideth Peacock (126, 1.58 per set).
DIGS: Northeastern’s Natalia Skiba (564, 5.81 per set).
POINTS: Hofstra’s Kelsie Wills (468, 4.88 per set).
*For games through 11/03/2013
NCAA D-1 Stat Leaders
INDIVIDUAL LEADERS Rank/Actual
Blocks per set:
Meredith Peacock, UNCW 5 (1.58)
Digs per set:
Natalia Skiba, Northeastern 5 (5.81)
Ariel Shonk 10 (5.54)
Points per set:
Kelsie Wills, Hofstra 20 (4.94)
Kills per set:
Kelsie Wills, Hofstra 21 (4.38)
Aces per set:
UNCW 22 (1.62)
Blocks per set:
UNCW 13 (2.83)
Digs per set:
William & Mary 24 (16.88)
Match W-L percentage:
Coll. of Charleston 18 (.833)
*-Games through 11/3/13, based on Top-25 for individual and team statistics.
- Football Media Day Set For Tuesday
- CAA Social Showdown: William & Mary
- CAA Social Showdown: Towson
- Chad Holbrook Named CofC Head Baseball Coach
- #CAAHoopsUnder25 UNCW at Elon
- CAA Social Showdown: Northeastern
- Elon, UNCW, WM Earn GCAA All-Academic Team Honors
- Heck Named Assoc. Commissioner For Compliance
- Nine Named to NABC Honors Court
- CAA Social Showdown: UNCW