Oct 14, 2013, 3:40 PM EDT
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK:
Kelly Bacon • Northeastern
Temecula, Calif./Temecula Valley, Sr., Outside Hitter
Bacon registered back-to-back double-doubles as the Huskies earned two solid wins last week versus Rhode Island and Hofstra. The senior totaled 14 kills in each match for an average of 3.5 per set and also played a large role on defense. She collected 11 digs versus the Rams and 12 digs against the Pride for an overall average of 2.88 per set. Bacon, who now has 11 double-doubles on the season, earned her second weekly honor of the fall.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK:
Ariel Shonk • Delaware
Atlanta, Ga./Riverwood International Charter, So., Defensive Specialist/Libero
Shonk proved once again why she’s one of the CAA’s top libero’s, finishing the weekend with 64 digs over nine sets for an impressive average of 7.11 digs per set. The Blue Hens went 1-1, though the sophomore Georgia product came through in the lone win versus William & Mary on Friday, providing 38 digs in the five-set 3-2 victory. It’s the third honor for Shonk this season.
ROOKIE OF THE WEEK:
Janey Goodman • James Madison
Powhatan, Va./Powhatan, Fr., Right Side Hitter
Goodman joins Shonk and Hofstra’s Kelsie Wills as the only players to earn three weekly honors this season after helping the Dukes pick up two wins over the weekend. The freshman left-hander was effective offensively, registering 24 total kills with a 3.00 kills per set average, and defensively, totaling seven blocks. She had a match-high five blocks in a 3-1 win over Delaware on Sunday. Over 75 sets this season, Goodman ranks seventh overall (first among freshman) in the CAA with 231 kills for a 3.08 per set average.
CAA QUICK HITS:
- Conference play continues to heat up, with eight total matches taking place over the weekend. Four matches take place on Friday, Oct. 18, while four take place on Sunday, Oct. 20.
- College of Charleston had one match last week, though the Cougars made it count as they defeated UNCW (3-1) for the team’s fifth straight win — all of which have come in league play.
- Dating back to their time in the Southern Conference and since 2011, CofC has not lost a road conference tilt in its last 18 matches.
- UNCW entered the game versus CofC as the only remaining unbeaten home team in the CAA, but now has a mark of 4-1 in Wilmington this year.
- James Madison improved to 3-2 in league play after winning both of its matches over the weekend in Harrisonburg. The Dukes defeated Towson and Delaware by identical 3-1 scores. Sophomore libero MacKenzie Kleespies had a tremendous weekend defensively, registering 43 digs with a 5.38 digs per set average over eight sets played.
- Northeastern also claimed two victories over the week, defeating Rhode Island in non-conference play and Hofstra at home on Saturday.
- In NU’s win at URI last Wednesday, freshman Caterina Rosander posted a career-high nine kills and nine blocks, while hitting .529.
- The Tribe of W&M went 1-1 last week, splitting consecutive five-set matches at home. Junior Liz Brown totaled 32 kills (3.20 per set) and also finished with eight blocks over all 10 sets.
- Hofstra and Towson each dropped both of their respective matches over the week.
Delaware’s Shonk digging her way to glory: Delaware sophomore libero Ariel Shonk collected her third weekly honor of the season thanks to another solid week. She totaled 64 digs over nine sets with a 7.11 per set average and had a season-high 38 digs in the Blue Hens’ only win of the week — a 3-2 decision over William & Mary — to pass 1,000 for her career.
CAA Statistic Leaders:
Hitting percentage: College of Charleston’s Cara Howley (.357 %).
KILLS: Hofstra’s Kelsie Wills (315, 4.38 per set).
ASSISTS: Delaware’s Mackenzie Olsen (731, 9.75 per set).
SERVICE ACES: Hofstra’s Kaitlyn Krause (27, 0.38 per set).
BLOCKS: UNCW’s Merideth Peacock (86, 1.32 per set).
DIGS: Northeastern’s Natalia Skiba (448, 5.82 per set).
POINTS: Hofstra’s Kelsie Wills (359, 4.99 per set).
*For games through 10/13
NCAA Stat Leaders:
Digs per set:
Natalia Skiba, Northeastern 3 (5.82)
Ariel Shonk, Delaware 10 (5.49)
Points per set:
Kelsie Wills, Hofstra 17 (5.08)
Kills per set:
Kelsie Wills, Hofstra 17 (4.45)
Aces per set:
UNCW 20 (1.65)
Digs per set:
William & Mary 19 (16.84)
*-Games through 10/13/13, based on Top-25 for individual and team statistics.
- Baseball Weekly Honors - April 24
- Softball Weekly Report - April 24
- Women's Lacrosse Weekly Report - April 24
- Men's Lacrosse Weekly Report - April 24
- COFC Four-Peats as #CAAChamps
- UNCW Takes Home Men's Tennis Championship
- W&M Captures Third Straight Women's Tennis Title
- #CAALAX Closeup with Alyssa Parrella
- #CAAChamps Play Suspended In Third Round
- Seahawks, Tribe Headed To Men's Tennis Finals