Sep 30, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT
William and Mary athletics announced on Monday that Tribe senior women’s tennis standouts Maria Belaya and Jeltje Loomans will compete in the Riviera/ITA All-American Championships on Oct. 1 at the Riviera Tennis Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif.
Belaya, the 2013 CAA Player of the Year, will open up play in the field-of-64 singles draw, before joining Loomans in the main doubles draw. This fall, the Florida native Belaya owns a 3-3 mark and is ranked No. 99 in Division I according to the ITA national poll. At the event which starts Tuesday, she must win three consecutive matches over the first two days to qualify and advance to the field of 32.
In doubles action, Loomans and Belaya are ranked seventh in Division I. The due, which is a perfect 6-0 during the fall season thus far, earned one of 20 at-large spots for the tournament. Loomans is a native of the Netherlands and was a first-team All-CAA doubles team member the past two years.
Singles semifinalists, doubles finalists and even consolation victors will receive automatic entry bids into the USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships taking place from Nov. 7-10 in Flushing, N.Y.
- CAA Hosts SAAC Leadership Summit June 23-25
- Towson Selects Matt Tyner As New Baseball Coach
- CAA Names Spring Scholar-Athlete Award Winners
- #CAAHoopsUnder25 Elon at William & Mary
- #CAAHoopsUnder25 Delaware at James Madison
- Eleven CAA Baseball Players Named All-Region
- Drexel's Crawford Begins Play In Second U.S. Open
- #CAAHoopsUnder25 W&M at Towson
- Four CAAFB Players Named Preseason All-Americans
- W&M Duo Headlines 14 Players Taken In MLB Draft