Sep 30, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT
William and Mary athletics announced on Monday that Tribe senior women’s tennis standouts Maria Belaya and Jeltje Loomans will compete in the Riviera/ITA All-American Championships on Oct. 1 at the Riviera Tennis Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif.
Belaya, the 2013 CAA Player of the Year, will open up play in the field-of-64 singles draw, before joining Loomans in the main doubles draw. This fall, the Florida native Belaya owns a 3-3 mark and is ranked No. 99 in Division I according to the ITA national poll. At the event which starts Tuesday, she must win three consecutive matches over the first two days to qualify and advance to the field of 32.
In doubles action, Loomans and Belaya are ranked seventh in Division I. The due, which is a perfect 6-0 during the fall season thus far, earned one of 20 at-large spots for the tournament. Loomans is a native of the Netherlands and was a first-team All-CAA doubles team member the past two years.
Singles semifinalists, doubles finalists and even consolation victors will receive automatic entry bids into the USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships taking place from Nov. 7-10 in Flushing, N.Y.
- Pairings Set for Women's Lacrosse Championship
- Towson Clinches Top Seed & Hosts #CAALax Championship
- #CAALax Close-Up with Jack Adams & Ryan Tierney
- VU's Kpassagnon, Seaton Chosen In NFL Draft
- #CAASports Close-Up With Giovanna Kolofer
- CAA Weekend Preview - April 28-30
- Hofstra's Concannon & Byrne Nominated For Tewaaraton Award
- #CAASports Close-Up With Casey Golden
- UD & CofC's Fuenfstueck Headed to NCAA Regionals
- Talcott, Straume Earn Tennis MOP Honors