Sep 25, 2013, 9:39 AM EDT
Bobby Brolyes is back again, this time breaking down Tuesday’s edition of the #CAAMinute. Broyles starts on the diamond as Northeastern alum and current assistant baseball coach Mike Glavine will succeed Neil McPhee as the Huskies’ head coach following the 2014 season. Glavine joined the Northeastern coaching staff before the 2007 season and has spent more than a decade with the Huskies program as both a player and coach. McPhee will retire following the 2014 season – his 29th at NU – bringing to a close the longest head-coaching tenure in Northeastern Athletics history.
Broyles then breaks down highlights of some of the league’s weekly award winners. Volleyball Players of the Week went to Northeastern’s Kelly Bacon, who was named Player of the Week after registering 54 kills to lead the Huskies to a 3-0 record. Teammate Natalia Skiba earned her second Defensive Player of the Week honor of the season on the heels of a 77-dig effort, while UNCW’s Nicole Lott has received the Rookie nod for a second consecutive week.
Soccer Players of the Week were also announced. Broyles begins on the men’s side, as Roshan Patel was named Player of the Week after his header in the 108th minute lifted William & Mary to a 1-0 double overtime victory at No. 24 Elon. Goalkeepers Tyler Afflerbach of Drexel and Mac Phillips of William & Mary each received Co-Rookie of the Week honors. On the women’s side, Towson’s Emily Banes collected Co-Player of the Week honors after scoring two goals, including a game-winner, as the Tigers prevailed in back-to-back road games for the first time since 1999. Delaware’s Shannon Kearney shares the honor after her pair of goals, including a game-winner, helped the Blue Hens to a 2-0 week. UNCW goalie Lissa Rahkola earned rookie accolades this week.
Thanks for checking out today’s minute. Remember, you can keep up with all the fall sports action by visiting CAASports.com.
- UNCW Comes From Behind to Capture Men's Golf Championship
- W&M Wins Fourth Consecutive CAA Women's Tennis Championship
- UNCW Captures Sixth CAA Men's Tennis Title In Past Decade
- W&M, JMU Set To Battle For CAA Women's Tennis Championship
- W&M, UNCW Earn Rematch For CAA Men's Tennis Championship
- JMU Holds One Stroke Lead After Exciting #CAAChamps Second Round
- Charleston, W&M, JMU And Elon Advance To Women's Tennis Semifinals
- Drexel Joins Top Three Seeds In CAA Men's Tennis Semifinals
- JMU Leads After First Round of Men's Golf Championship
- CAA Weekend Preview - April 20