Sep 16, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
***Click HERE for Weekly VB Report
Co-OFFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK:
Kelsie Wills • Hofstra
Matamata, New Zealand,/Matamata College, Jr., Outside Hitter
Wills earned her second Offensive Player of the Week honor this season after being named the Most Valuable Player at the Hofstra Invitational and leading the Pride to three consecutive victories. The junior had at least 18 kills in each of the three matches for the tournament and notched 23 kills in the title match versus Central Michigan. Over the course of Hofstra’s 3-1 week, Wills had 74 kills (4.62 per set) and hit .260.
Morgan Kline • UNCW
Yorktown, Va.,/Grafton, Jr., Outside Hitter
Kline helped the Seahawks rack up four victories over the weekend to take the UNCW Volleyball Classic. She earned MVP honors after averaging 3.61 kills per set at the tournament and posting an impressive .376 hitting percentage over 13 sets played. Kline shined versus UNC Asheville on Sept. 13, collecting a double-double with 16 kills and 18 digs in a 3-1 win.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK:
Ariel Shonk • Delaware
Atlanta, Ga.,/Riverwood International Charter, So., Libero
Shonk, who picks up back-to-back Defensive Player of the Week honors, was named MVP as the Blue Hens completed a 3-1 week with three straight wins to capture the Delaware Invitational. The Atlanta, Ga., native paced her team in digs in all four matches of the week, totaling 118 for a 6.56 average. In the tournament title game versus Furman on Sept. 14, Shonk had a season-high 37 digs to close the strong week.
ROOKIE OF THE WEEK:
Nicole Lott • UNCW
West Chester, Pa.,/Bishop Shanahan, Fr., Outside Hitter
Lott played a large part in UNCW’s 4-0 week after averaging 2.18 kills and 1.90 digs per set over the weekend. She finished the UNCW Classic with seven total blocks, five service aces and 24 kills. Her eight digs against Mercer were a team-best and she recorded a season-high 10 kills in a win over Western Carolina.
CAA QUICK HITS:
- Four schools have an above .500 record after the third week of play – College of Charleston (8-2), UNCW (8-2), Hofstra (7-3) and Delaware (6-4).
- UNCW was the only team which had a perfect week, going 4-0 to earn the title at the UNCW Volleyball Classic.
- The Seahawks handily defeated North Carolina A&T (3-0), UNC Asheville (3-1), Western Carolina (3-1) and Mercer (3-0) to improve to 8-2 on the season.
- Hofstra opened up the week with a road loss at Fordham, but the Pride responded well and won three four-set wins over the weekend to capture the Hofstra Invitational. The Pride won both of their home inseason tournaments this season for the third straight year and are a perfect 7-0 on their home court.
- HU senior middle blocker Sara Campolina excelled this past week defensively for the Pride. She had at least four blocks in each of the team’s four matches and finished with 25 total blocks for an average of 1.56 blocks per set.
- Delaware, like Hofstra, dropped its first match of the week on the road, but bounced back for three straight victories to win the Delaware Invitational. Katie Hank, Chandler Bryant and Shonk were named to the All-Tournament team, while the Blue Hens improved to 3-0 at home.
- College of Charleston is tied for the most wins in the league (8), but the Cougars dropped their final two matches of the weekend in California to host Long Beach State (1-3) and Loyola Marymount (0-3).
- Northeastern went 1-2 over the weekend at the Aztec Invitational in San Diego. The Huskies’ only win came versus host SDSU, while Natalia Skiba registered 75 total kills over 14 sets played this past weekend.
LEAGUE TEAMS COMFORTABLE AT HOME: CAA teams have compiled an impressive 22-4 combined record this season when playing at home. James Madison and William & Mary (1-2) are the only teams with home losses thus far.
PRIDE WIN SECOND HOME TOURNAMENT: Hofstra enjoyed a 3-1 week which included three consectuvie victories this weekend to capture the Hofstra Invitational. It marks the third straigth season that the Pride have won both of its inseason home tournaments — the Hofstra Asics Invitational and the Hofstra Invitational — and started the season off with a 7-0 record at home.
COFC EARLY SEASON SUCCESS: CofC completed a perfect 4-0 week from Sept. 3-7, with wins over Charleston Southern (3-0) on Sept. 3 and sweeping its own invitational versus Coastal Carolina (3-1), South Carolina State (3-0) and Indiana (3-1) to claim its second in-season tournament. With the win versus Indiana, the Cougars now have defeated their first Big Ten foe, one week after taking down Georgia Tech for their first ever sweep of an ACC member.
- #CAALax Closeup with Emma MacLeod
- CofC Sweeps Golfer of the Week Honors
- Reisert Named CAAFB Scholar-Athlete Of The Year
- Duo Named to USILA Team of the Week
- Men's and Women's Tennis Weekly Honors - March 20
- Track & Field Weekly Honors - March 20
- Bourne Among Finalists For SBJ AD of the Year
- Baseball Weekly Honors - March 19
- Softball Weekly Honors - March 19
- Women's Lacrosse Weekly Honors - March 19