Sep 12, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
In Thursday’s edition of the #CAAMinute, Bobby Broyles continues to break down the league’s weekly honors. In volleyball, Offensive Player of the Week honors went to College of Charleston’s Darcy Dorton, who was named the Most Valuable Player at the Hampton Inn CofC Invitational. She helped the Cougars to a perfect 4-0 record, including a victory over Big Ten foe Indiana — the first for the program against a member of that conference. Ariel Shonk of Delaware was named Co-Defensive Player of the Week after recording 55 digs to help the Blue Hens capture the Loyola Maryland Greyhound Challenge. Northeastern’s Natalia Skiba was the other benefactor of this week’s Defensive honor after finishing with 108 digs to lead the Huskies to a 3-1 week, highlighted by wins over host Connecticut and UAlbany. James Madison’s Janey Goodman wrapped up volleyball’s weekly awards, earning her second straight Rookie of the Week honor.
CAA field hockey Player of the Week honors went to Drexel’s Christina Conrad, who scored three goals and added an assist to lead the Dragons to a 1-1 record last week. Delaware’s Esmee Peet picked up the rookie nod after not only scoring her first career goal, but finishing with a pair of goals in the Blue Hens’ 4-2 victory over Central Michigan on Friday.
Thursday’s minute concludes with the weekly cross country awards. William & Mary’s Rad Gunzenhauser was been named men’s Runner of the Week after winning the Spider Alumni Open last weekend, while fellow Tribe runner Elaina Balouris followed suit on the women’s side after breaking the Spider meet record en route to earning top honors with a time of 10:17.1 on the two-mile course. Balouris was also named USTFCCCA Division I Women’s National Runner of the Week for her efforts.
Keep up with all the fall sports action by visiting CAASports.com.
- Miller Drives In Three As Delaware Defeats Charleston, 5-1
- JMU's Elena Romesburg Receives NCAA Elite 90 Award
- Oldham's Walk-Off Single In The 12th Gives Elon 3-2 Victory Over Charleston
- UNCW Knocks Off Northeastern, 9-2, Behind Royalty's Complete Game
- NU Opens NCAA Rowing Championship on Friday
- Four Named USILA All-Americans
- No. 3 JMU Readies for NCAA WLAX Semifinals
- Stellar Pitching Performance Gives Delaware 3-1 Victory Over Hofstra
- Charleston Hits Four Homers To Power Past Hofstra, 10-3
- Weiss' Walk-Off Double Lifts UNCW Past Delaware, 2-1, In Baseball Opener