Sep 9, 2013, 4:05 PM EDT
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK:
Darcy Dorton • College of Charleston
Muncie, Ind., (Penn State)/Delta High School, Sr., Outside Hitter
Dorton was named the Most Valuable Player at the Hampton Inn CofC Invitational and helped the Cougars to a perfect 4-0 record over the weekend. The senior outside hitter averaged 4.0 kills per set (44 total kills) while hitting .348, as CofC improved to 7-0 on the season, the second-best start in school history. Dorton also contributed 16 digs and six blocks. She helped her team to a 3-1 triumph over Indiana for their first win ever over a Big Ten opponent, posting 18 kills in the tournament finale.
Co-DEFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK:
Ariel Shonk • Delaware
Atlanta, Ga.,/Riverwood International Charter, So., Libero
Shonk helped Delaware even its season record at 3-3 after helping the Blue Hens capture the Loyola (Md.) Greyhound Challenge with three straight wins. She recorded 55 digs and averaged 5.0 per set. The sophomore was named to the All-Tournament team, while UD won its first outright in-season tournament since taking the 2010 Delaware Invitational.
Natalia Skiba • Northeastern
Westmont, Ill.,/Hinsdale Central, Jr., Libero
Skiba played a large part in helping the Huskies to a 3-1 week, highlighted by wins over host Connecticut and Albany. She averaged 7.20 digs per set and finished with 108 for the week. Skiba had over 20 digs in all four matches, including a career-high 45 in the 3-2 victory over Connecticut.
ROOKIE OF THE WEEK:
Janey Goodman • James Madison
Powhatan, Va.,/Powhatan, Fr., Right Side Hitter
Goodman picked up her second consecutive Rookie of the Week honor after being named to the JMU Classic All-Tournament team. She collected a team-high 48 kills on .315 hitting and averaged 3.69 kills per set. She also added 11 blocks and nine digs. In JMU’s 3-2 win over Presbyterian, she totaled 28 kills, the most by a JMU player since Allyson Halls had 31 on Oct. 26, 2013.
CAA QUICK HITS:
• Three schools have an above .500 record after the second weekend of play – College of Charleston (7-0), Hofstra (4-2) and UNCW (4-2).
• CofC completed a perfect 4-0 week with victories over Charleston Southern (3-0) on Sept. 3 along with sweeping its owninvitational versus CoastalCarolina (3-1), South Carolina State (3-0) and Indiana (3-1) to claim its second inseason tournament. With the win versus the Hoosiers, the Cougars now have defeated their first Big Ten foe, one week after taking down Georgia Tech for their first win versus an ACC member.
• After starting the year 0-3, Northeastern enjoyed a 3-1 week to bring its record to 3-4. Delaware also started the season with a 0-3 record, but won three straight matches this past weekend.
• Towson, which split its four matches this week, started the action with a 3-1 win over Coppin State to open up Tigers’ new SECU Arena. Junior Saitaua Iosia was named to theNC State All-Tournament team after posting a pair of double-doubles over three matches.
• Hofstra saw its four-game winning streak come to an end this week at the Harvard Invitational, however, junior outside hitter Kelsie Wills passed the 1,000 career kills mark (1,024) leading the Pride with 27 kills over two matches this past weekend.
• William & Mary sophomore Carolyn Albright notched an impressive 23 blocks over 16 sets this past week for a 1.44 average.
Delaware Wins Greyhound Challenge: For the first time since 2010, the Blue Hens won their first outright in-season tournament since capturing the UD Invitational. UD defeated UMBC (3-2), La Salle (3-0) and host Loyola (Md.) (3-0). The ‘Hens also improved to 26-1 all-time against La Salle and 34-3 versus the Greyhounds.
UNCW Record Books Rewritten: Senior Christi Laite earned All-Tournament honors at the FIU Classic, as she averaged 4.08 kills per set. She finished with 53 kills and moved into sole possession of eighth place on the program’s all-time kills chart (901). Senior Haley Collins also made a move up the program’s career digs list as she took over sole possession of third place on the squad’s all-time digs chart (1,244).
- Pairings Set for Women's Lacrosse Championship
- Towson Clinches Top Seed & Hosts #CAALax Championship
- #CAALax Close-Up with Jack Adams & Ryan Tierney
- VU's Kpassagnon, Seaton Chosen In NFL Draft
- #CAASports Close-Up With Giovanna Kolofer
- CAA Weekend Preview - April 28-30
- Hofstra's Concannon & Byrne Nominated For Tewaaraton Award
- #CAASports Close-Up With Casey Golden
- UD & CofC's Fuenfstueck Headed to NCAA Regionals
- Talcott, Straume Earn Tennis MOP Honors