Sep 5, 2013, 12:57 PM EDT
The UNCW men’s golf team, coming off its third straight CAA title, will lend a helping hand to former Seahawk standout and school Hall of Fame inductee, Derek Brown, during the 2013-14 season with the fundraiser, “Birdies for Kaitlyn”.
The Brown family will utilize the proceeds from “Birdies for Kaitlyn” ( #birdies4kaitlyn ) for necessary home upgrades for their daughter, Kaitlyn, who was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy.
Brown enjoyed a solid playing career for UNCW from 2001-04 and helped the Seahawks capture their first CAA title in 2004. He also won the 2002 North Carolina Amateur title and was a four-time All-CAA selection.
“We want to be birdie making machines for Kaitlyn and the Brown family,” UNCW men’s golf coach Matt Clark said. “This is a tremendous opportunity to help a former player, as well as learn more about cerebral palsy. Once a Seahawk always a Seahawk, that is what I teach and words that I want to become a reality here. Please help Kaitlyn by sponsoring our team for each birdie we make this season. Every penny counts!”
Over the course of the upcoming season, the Seahawks will ask for donations per birdie recorded or flat donation to the project. UNCW opens the 2013-14 campaign on Sept. 14, with the team competing in 11 total tournaments over the year.
For more information about the foundation and its objectives or to learn more about Kaitlyn and the Brown family, click here.
- Ryder, Shorey Named Student-Athletes Of The Year
- UD's DeLuca Earns USILA National Defensive Player of the Week
- TU's Alexander, Elon's Mactas Share Golfer of the Week
- WM's Choi Named Golfer of the Week
- Men's and Women's Tennis Weekly Honors - March 28
- Track & Field Weekly Honors - March 28
- Baseball Weekly Honors - March 27
- Softball Weekly Honors - March 27
- Women's Lacrosse Weekly Report - March 27
- Men's Lacrosse Weekly Report - March 27