Sep 4, 2013, 9:39 AM EDT
CO-OFFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK:
Kelsie Wills • Hofstra
Matamata, New Zealand/Matamata College, Jr., Outside Hitter
Wills was named the Most Valuable Player at the Hofstra Asics Invitational after leading the Pride to a perfect 4-0 record. The junior outside hitter averaged 4.58 kills per set (55 total kills) while hitting .377. She also contributed 20 digs, seven service aces and four block assists. Wills, who had double-digit kills in all four matches, is just 10 kills shy of 1,000 for her career.
Christi Laite • UNCW
Severna Park, Md./Severna Park, Sr., Right Side Hitter
Laite played a crucial role in helping UNCW claim the Kristen Dickmann Tournament at the U.S. Naval Academy this past weekend. The senior was named tournament MVP after averaging 4.0 kills per set and finishing with a .289 hitting percantage. She also added 11 blocks and 15 digs in the tournament. Laite matched a career-high with 22 kills the tournament finale versus UIC. Thanks to Laite’s contributions, the Seahawks are 3-0 for just the seventh time since 1982.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK:
Emily Neideffer • College of Charleston
Carry, N.C./J.H. Rose, Sr., Outside Hitter
Neideffer helped lead College of Charleston to a 3-0 record and the Georgia Tech Invitational title by recording 11 blocks and averaging 1.1 per set. Her six blocks in a 3-0 win over host Georgia Tech were just one shy of her career high and gave CofC the program’s first sweep of an ACC school. The Cougars held the Yellow Jackets to a .120 hitting percentage.
ROOKIE OF THE WEEK:
Janey Goodman • James Madison
Powhatan, Va.,/Powhatan, Fr., Right Side Hitter
Goodman recorded 29 kills (2.07 per set) and had a .228 hitting percentage this past weekend as JMU went 1-2 in the Jefferson Cup at the University of Virginia. The first-year Duke also had 10 blocks for the week — including seven with seven kills in JMU’s 3-2 win over Marshall.
CAA QUICK HITS:
- Three schools begain the 2013 campaign undefeated after the first weekend of play – Hofstra (4-0), College of Charleston (3-0), and UNCW (3-0).
- UNCW defeated host Navy (3-1), Elon (3-0) and UIC (3-1) to claim its second in-season tournament (Kristen Dickmann Tournament) under fifth year head coach Amy Bambenek. The 3-0 start marked just the seventh time since the 1982 season that the Seahawks have begun a season at 3-0.
- Laite matched her career-high with 22 kills in the tournament finale against the Flames as she moved into sole possession of 10th place on the program’s career kills chart (848). Senior Courtney Porter and sophomore Meredith Peacock joined Laite on the All-Tournament team.
- The Towson Tigers gave Don Metil his first coaching victory as a Tiger with a 3-0 win over St. Francis (Pa.) in the finale of the Hokie Classic.
- Though Towson finished the week 1-3 with losses to national powers Michigan State and Virginia Tech as well as Pacific, freshman Lindsay Flaherty was named to the all-tournament team at the tournament after posting 13 kills and a team-high 13 blocks over four matches.
- JMU Junior middle blocker Lizzy Briones set career-highs in kills (24 versus Montana), digs (9 versus Montana) and blocks (10 against Marshall) during the first weekend of play which saw the Dukes go 1-2.
Hofstra wins Asics Invitational: For the third straight year, the Pride won the Hofstra Asics Invitational. It also marks the third straight year that Hofstra has begun the season with at least four straight wins. In addition, it is the first time since 1989 — Hofstra began the year 6-0 (all in sweeps) — that HU has started 4-0 with all four wins in sweeps.
Tribe familiar with California: William & Mary opened the season with a 1-2 mark after hosting the Tribe Invitational this past weekend. The team defeated San Jose State, 3-1, on Friday before falling to Campbell (3-2) and Northern Arizona (3-0) on Saturday. The Tribe have now faced 16 of the 24 Division I volleyball teams in the state of California.
- Byrne Named MLL Rookie of the Year
- CAA Announces Launch Of New OTT Applications
- CofC Picked to Win 2017 VB Title
- JoeyD vs. the #CAAChamps
- #CAAFB 12 Teams In 12 Days Preview - Richmond
- CAA Partners With CBS Sports Digital
- W&M Sits Atop Preseason Poll
- #CAAHoopsUnder25 Elon at Delaware
- #CAAFB 12 Teams In 12 Days Preview - Rhode Island
- CAA Announces WBB Schedule