Aug 15, 2013, 10:27 AM EDT
The UNCW volleyball team was recently honored for its work off the court as it was named a Team Academic Award recipient for this past season (2012-13) by the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA).
The Seahawks were one of 131 Division I programs that displayed academic excellence in the classroom by maintaining at least a 3.30 cumulative team grade point average over the previous school year. The team was the only CAA member to earn the award, which honors collegiate and high school volleyball teams. Overall, a total of 623 programs were recognized.
“This is a deserving award to a group of players that put forth a lot of time towards high academic achievement,” UNCW coach Amy Bambenek said. “Commitment in the classroom is a focal point in our program and to be recognized amongst the top programs in the country is a great honor.”
UNCW, which has high expectations for the upcoming season with 11 letterwinners and four starters returning, has now received honors from the AVCA in four of the past eight seasons. The Seahawks open their 2013 campaign on Aug. 30 at the Kristen Dickmann Invitational versus Navy.
UNCW was recently selected to finish eighth by the league’s coaches in the CAA volleyball preseason poll.
- CAA Partners With ScoreShots
- CAA Weekend Preview - Sept. 22
- #CAAFB Closeup - Stony Brook's Tyrice Beverette
- #CAAFB Going Deep: The Making of a Comeback
- #CAAFB Closeup - Towson's Will Hayes
- This Week In CAA Football - Week 4 Preview
- UNCW's Eldridge Named Men's Golfer of the Week
- Three Teams Ranked In NFHCA Poll For Second Straight Week
- COFC Sweeps XC Runners of the Week
- Field Hockey Weekly Honors - Sept. 19