Jul 30, 2013, 2:37 PM EDT
Four CAA men’s lacrosse standouts have been selected to try out for the U.S. Men’s National Team, where roughly 98 players will compete to make the 40-man roster and defend the U.S.’ world title at the Federation of International Lacrosse (FIL) World Championships on July 10-19, 2014, in Denver, Colo.
Hofstra alums Steve DeNapoli (Rochester Rattlers) and Kevin Unterstein (New York Lizards) will represent the league as will two Penn State standouts. DeNapoli was a two-time CAA selection in 2009 and 2011, while Unterstein, a current assistant coach for the Pride, was league’s 2008 Defensive Player of the Year and the CAA Championship Tournament Most Valuable Player.
Penn State, a member of CAA lacrosse since 2010, had six total players selected, with the most-recent CAA standouts being current All-American goalie and rising senior Austin Kaut and Matt Mackrides ’12 (Chesapeake Bayhawks).
Kaut, the 2013 CAA Player and Defensive Player of the Year, was a first-team United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (USILA) All-American. He was also honored with the Ensign C. Markland Kelly, Jr. Award, which is presented annually to the nation’s top goalie in college lacrosse, after posting a 12-5 record and .610 save percentage this past spring.
According to US Lacrosse, a total of 156 players submitted tryout applications and a selection committee made up of current and past U.S. team players and coaches as well as current professional and collegiate coaches then chose the players. Tryouts will take place from Aug. 30-Sept. 1 at Goucher College in Baltimore, Md.
- Stellar Pitching Performance Gives Delaware 3-1 Victory Over Hofstra
- Charleston Hits Four Homers To Power Past Hofstra, 10-3
- Weiss' Walk-Off Double Lifts UNCW Past Delaware, 2-1, In Baseball Opener
- Seven Selected For USILA North/South Game
- JoeyD vs. the #CAAChamps - Delaware Baseball
- McConnell, Rooney Headline 2018 All-CAA Baseball Team
- Delaware Selected for Preseason WNIT
- Four CAA Tennis Players Receive ITA Regional Awards
- CAA Baseball Championship Gets Started On Wednesday
- Baseball Weekly Honors - May 21