Jul 25, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
Northeastern junior outfielder Aaron Barbosa will forgo his final collegiate season after the school announced on Thursday that he signed a free agent contract with the Seattle Mariners.
Barbosa, who will report to the Pulaski Mariners of the Appalachian League, had an excellent season this past spring. He started all of the team’s 57 games, led the Huskies in hits (71), runs (47), triples (four) and on-base percentage (.387) while batting.307. The Dracut, Mass., native also stole a team-high 26 bases en route to breaking a 34-year-old program record set by Tom Burke.
The Huskies compiled a 31-26 (12-15 CAA) record last season and won three games in the conference tournament, with Barbosa earning second-team All-CAA and NEIBA all-star honors.
Over three seasons, Barbosa finished atop NU’s stolen bases record book with 69, ranked fourth all-time in hits (217), sixth in runs scored (136) and holds program single-season records for hits (76) and steals (29), both of which came in 2012. He was the CAA Rookie of the Year and a third-team all-conference pick in 2011 and also made the All-CAA second team in 2012.
The Pulaski Mariners own a 18-13 record this season in the Appalachian League East.
- Pairings Set for Women's Lacrosse Championship
- Towson Clinches Top Seed & Hosts #CAALax Championship
- #CAALax Close-Up with Jack Adams & Ryan Tierney
- VU's Kpassagnon, Seaton Chosen In NFL Draft
- #CAASports Close-Up With Giovanna Kolofer
- CAA Weekend Preview - April 28-30
- Hofstra's Concannon & Byrne Nominated For Tewaaraton Award
- #CAASports Close-Up With Casey Golden
- UD & CofC's Fuenfstueck Headed to NCAA Regionals
- Talcott, Straume Earn Tennis MOP Honors