Jul 18, 2013, 10:22 AM EDT
Hofstra University catcher Matt Reistetter agreed to a free agent contract with the Washington Nationals, the school announced on Thursday.
Reistetter will report to Washington’s spring training facility in Florida and then join the Auburn Doubledays (N.Y.) of the New York-Penn League in Class A short season ball.
“This is a dream come true for me,” Reistetter said. “I have always wanted the opportunity to play professional and while it is difficult to leave Hofstra, I felt that I could not pass up this chance. I will always be grateful for my coaches and teammates at Hofstra and without them I probably would not be in this position. I also want to thank the Washington Nationals organization for this opportunity and I look forward to starting my professional career.”
An All-CAA first-team member as a junior in 2013, Reistetter led the Pride in batting average (.326), while starting 47 of his team’s 53 games. He belted two homers, drove in 34 runs, scored 25 runs and also stole six bases this past spring.
Over three seasons at Hofstra, the Hauppauge, N.Y., native registered a .296 average over 127 games, including 123 starts, with 131 hits and 66 RBI.
Reistetter continually improved over his three-year collegiate career and earned a spot on the All-CAA team each year. As a freshman, he earned third-team honors, as a sophomore, he earned second-team honors and finally enjoyed a breakout junior campaign in 2013 resulting in the first-team selection.
- JMU Holds One Stroke Lead After Exciting #CAAChamps Second Round
- Charleston, W&M, JMU And Elon Advance To Women's Tennis Semifinals
- Drexel Joins Top Three Seeds In CAA Men's Tennis Semifinals
- JMU Leads After First Round of Men's Golf Championship
- CAA Weekend Preview - April 20
- Towson Tops Hofstra In CAA Women's Tennis Opener
- Buresch, Dandola Named NFCA Freshman of the Year Candidates
- Men's Golf Championship Begins Friday Morning
- Two #CAALax Players Taken in MLL Collegiate Draft
- CAA Tennis Championships Start Thursday