Jul 16, 2013, 2:22 PM EDT
A handful of CAA baseball players were recently honored after strong performances in various collegiate summer leagues. Towson’s Brendan Butler and Nik Nowottnick and Delaware’s Brandon Hinkle and R. Norm Donkin have been selected to play in the Cal Ripken Collegiate Baseball League all-star game.
A two-year starter in the outfield for Towson, Butler is batting .307 with three triples, one home run and 18 RBI for the Youse’s Orioles this summer. The 6-foot-2, 210-pounder also has 13 runs scored and seven stolen bases in eight attempts.
This past season for the Tigers, Butler scored a team-high 50 runs, batted .286 and belted five homers with 40 RBI as a sophomore.
Nowottnick owns a 3-2 record for the Rockville Express in the CRCBL this summer to go along with 21 strikeouts over 29 innings pitched. The right-hander compiled a 4-4 record and 5.03 ERA last season with Towson.
Hinkle, a left-handed hurler, owns a 2-0 record and 1.01 ERA with three saves for the Baltimore Redbirds this summer. This past spring for the Blue Hens, he tossed four innings with a 0-1 record. Donkin spent the last two years with Hartford Junior College, but leads the Express with 19 RBI this summer.
All four players will suit up for the North squad in the all-star tilt which takes place on Wednesday, July 17 at 7:30 p.m. at Shirley Povich Field in Rockville, Md.
Delaware sophomore infielder Zach Lopes also made headlines earlier this month after he was honored by the Coastal Plain League as its Rawlings Hitter of the Week from July 1-6. He batted .455 with five RBI over five games for the Peninsula Pilots, while helping the team to a perfect 5-0 record for the week.
- CofC's Fuenfstueck Ties for 24th at NCAA Championship
- Baseball Weekly Honors - May 22
- Towson Downs Cuse to Advance to NCAA Semifinals
- CofC's Fuenfstueck in Top-25 at NCAA Championship
- Dukes' Memorable Season Ends In Waco Regional Title Game
- JMU Keeps Season Alive With Saturday Split
- Pairings Set For CAA Baseball Championship
- JMU Earns Walk-Off Win To Open Regional Play
- Towson Tangles With Syracuse in NCAA Quarterfinals
- CofC's Fuenfstueck Readies for NCAA Championship