May 1, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Former University of Delaware golfer Joey McLister won a Monday qualifier for the Wells Fargo Championship and will compete in his second career PGA TOUR event this weekend.
McLister fired a seven under par 63 at Charlotte’s Carolina Golf & Country Club on Monday as he earned one of four berths during the qualifier, which featured 81 golfers. He shared medalist honors with Nate Smith in qualifying for the Wells Fargo Championship, which will be held this Thursday through Sunday at Quail Hollow Club in Charlotte. McLister’s brother Kevin, also a four-year member of the Blue Hen golf team who graduated in 2011, will serve as his caddie during the tournament.
The championship will begin at 7 a.m. on Thursday and Friday, with live coverage on the Golf Channel from 3 to 7 p.m. each day. The third and fourth rounds on Saturday and Sunday start at 8 a.m., with the Golf Channel showing live coverage from 1 to 2:30 p.m. and CBS broadcasting from 3 to 6 p.m.
2013 Masters runner-up Angel Cabara will participate in the tournament, along with notables Rickie Fowler, Rory McIlroy, Phil Mickelson, Bubba Watson, Lee Westwood and Sergio Garcia.
McLister, a member of the eGolf Tour, is the first Blue Hen golfer to qualifier for a PGA TOUR event and will be making his second ever appearance on the tour after narrowly missing the cut at the Zurich Classic in New Orleans last April. Last week McLister just missed out on qualifying for this year’s Zurich Classic, as two-time U.S. Open champion Lee Janzen edged him by a single shot to earn the fourth and final qualifying berth.
McLister, a first team All-Colonial Athletic Association selection in 2006, is one of the top players in Delaware golf history. His 74.66 career average round is the second lowest in school history, while he posted the lowest average round on the Blue Hens during all four of his seasons. His 72.85 round average in 2005-06 and his 73.69 average in 2006-07 still rank second and third, respectively, in UD history.
- Miller Drives In Three As Delaware Defeats Charleston, 5-1
- JMU's Elena Romesburg Receives NCAA Elite 90 Award
- Oldham's Walk-Off Single In The 12th Gives Elon 3-2 Victory Over Charleston
- UNCW Knocks Off Northeastern, 9-2, Behind Royalty's Complete Game
- NU Opens NCAA Rowing Championship on Friday
- Four Named USILA All-Americans
- No. 3 JMU Readies for NCAA WLAX Semifinals
- Stellar Pitching Performance Gives Delaware 3-1 Victory Over Hofstra
- Charleston Hits Four Homers To Power Past Hofstra, 10-3
- Weiss' Walk-Off Double Lifts UNCW Past Delaware, 2-1, In Baseball Opener