Apr 10, 2013, 5:14 PM EDT
he Hofstra University Department of Athletics will induct a Hall of Fame class which includes seven individuals, representing eight sports, as well as two teams into its Athletics Hall of Fame Saturday, April 13, 2013 at 4 p.m. The inductees will also be recognized during halftime of that night’s men’s lacrosse game against the University of North Carolina. GoHofstra.com has been profiling each of the inductees in the weeks leading up to this weekend’s event. Below is a excerpt from Alicia Smith’s profile.
Alicia Smith is one of Hofstra Softball’s all-time greats. As a player she was relentless and fearless – whether she was in the pitching circle, in the outfield or at the plate. You knew every day that you would get Alicia Smith’s very best. Her strong will to win was so contagious that it helped us to countless victories many people thought impossible. She is truly deserving of this Hall of Fame induction and, on behalf of the entire Hofstra Softball family, we celebrate this great honor with her today.” – Bill Edwards, Hofstra Softball Coach
A standout softball student-athlete from 1997 to 2000, Alicia Smith had a tremendous impact on the Hofstra Softball program as both a hitter and pitcher. She is Hofstra’s all-time leader in hits (271), games played (236) and at-bats (727).
Smith was a second team NFCA All-American in 2000, a four-time All-Mid-Atlantic Region and All-America East selection and had her #23 retired by the program in 2009. She was also a first team Academic All-America selection as a senior in 2000.
In addition to her hits record, Smith also drove in 136 runs and recorded 54 doubles, which both rank in the top five in program history.
For more on Smith as well as links to the previous profiles on Hofstra’s 2013 Hall of Fame class visit GoHofstra.com.
- McConnell, Rooney Headline 2018 All-CAA Baseball Team
- Delaware Selected for Preseason WNIT
- Four CAA Tennis Players Receive ITA Regional Awards
- CAA Baseball Championship Gets Started On Wednesday
- Baseball Weekly Honors - May 21
- Hofstra, JMU End Seasons In Regionals
- Pairings Set For 2018 CAA Baseball Championship
- On to the NCAA Semifinals! No. 3 JMU Knocks Off No. 6 Florida to Advance
- Dukes Earn Victory In Postseason Opener, Pride Fall In Extras
- Seven Earn IL Women Media All-American Honors