Jan 10, 2013, 1:11 PM EDT
While most of the nation was focused on the BCS Championship game Monday night, soccer stars from past and present took time to help a community continue its healing process and give it a chance to smile and enjoy life.
Former UNCW standout and current Vancouver Whitecaps goalkeeper Brad Knighton was one of many soccer standouts participating the event billed as “Soccer Night in Newtown,” organized by Chris Canetti, a native of Guilford, Conn., and current president of the Houston Dynamo.
“You could just sense that something special was going to happen today, and that the community had really opened up,” Canetti told MLSsoccer.com. “The only thing we regret is that we wish we had a bigger place. There were just so many people that wanted to be a part of this.”
The night’s activities for the reeling community ranged from pick-up games to an opportunity to ask players questions and learn more about them and picking up a pointer or two about soccer and maybe life. Imagine getting a chance to make to or receive a pass from Mia Hamm or Dwayne DeRosario? Or learning you’re your favorite player’s experiences? Or receiving a simple high-five and a pat on the back?
“It was incredible to see how the event was put together in a short amount of time and I’m happy I could be a part of it,” said Knighton. “There were so many activities for the parents and kids to participate in; it was great to see kids and parents smiling from ear-to-ear.”
For more on Knighton’s time in Newtown logon to UNCWSports.com. Interested in the MLS efforts in Newtown, including a great piece by Martin MacMahon from MLSSoccer.com featuring videos and additional links visit whitecapsfc.com.
- CAA Names Spring Scholar-Athlete Award Winners
- #CAAHoopsUnder25 Delaware at James Madison
- Eleven CAA Baseball Players Named All-Region
- Drexel's Crawford Begins Play In Second U.S. Open
- #CAAHoopsUnder25 W&M at Towson
- Four CAAFB Players Named Preseason All-Americans
- W&M Duo Headlines 14 Players Taken In MLB Draft
- CAA Sports 2016-17 Year In Review
- Six CAA Players Named USILA Scholar All-Americans
- #CAAHoopsUnder25 UNCW at Charleston