Jan 9, 2013, 11:48 AM EDT
During the fall semester, Hofstra student-athletes were out in full force, able and willing to volunteer in and around the Hofstra University community. During a semester that saw Long Island affected by one of the worst storms in history, Pride athletes answered the call to serve their neighbors. Students made trips to towns all over Long Island, willing to assist with anything they could do. From cleaning out and repairing homes, to organizing clothing and food drives, students worked tirelessly to help those in need.
Along with all hurricane relief projects, Hofstra student-athletes worked on 23 individual and 38 combined community service projects during the fall semester. From hosting cancer awareness games and tournaments, volunteering at soup kitchens and hosting clinics for local organizations, Hofstra student-athletes totaled 1,159 hours of service.
“Seeing the difference that I can make in someone’s life makes me truly grateful for every opportunity I have been given,” commented women’s lacrosse student-athlete Alex Mezzanotte. “Doing community service is important because it makes us realize how blessed we are and that we can make a difference in this world.”
For more on the Pride’s involvement in the Long Island Community visit GoHofstra.com which features a photo gallery from some of the activities…including Hurricane Sandy Relief Efforts, Massapequa Soccer Clinic, North Shore LIJ 5k Fun Run, Surfer’s Healing, Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk, Field Hockey Breast Cancer Awareness Game, Fourth Annual Nick Colleluori Women’s Lacrosse Classic, CAA Blood Drive, Shake-A-Rake, The Interfaith Nutrition Network and Holiday Magic on Long Island.
- CAA Football Announces Academic All-Conference Team
- Grant, 10 Players Earn NABC All-District Honors
- CofC's Rainey Named Golfer of the Week
- CofC's Fuenfstueck Earns Golfer of the Week
- Track & Field Weekly Honors - March 21
- Men's and Women's Tennis Weekly Honors - March 21
- Hofstra's Parrella Named National Rookie of the Week
- UD's Walter Named National Player Of The Week
- Baseball Weekly Honors - March 20
- Softball Weekly Honors - March 20