Jan 8, 2013, 9:25 AM EDT
Three William and Mary student-athletes, over the recent holiday break, volunteered their time as Santa’s Elves in conjunction with the Ellen DeGeneres Show to help bring Christmas to a Hampton Roads family in need over the holidays.
Women’s basketball senior Emily Correal and sophomore Kyla Kerstetter along with Tribe baseball senior Jackson Shaver were among the William and Mary students who shared a commitment in assisting the Ellen DeGeneres Show’s “12 Days of Giveaways”, which provided a local family with more than $30,000 in gifts. The Ellen DeGeneres Show, the episode which features the W&M student-athletes, is set to air on Monday, Jan. 7, on WTKR CBS channel 3 at 3 p.m.
The show’s associate producer contacted W&M’s Office of University Relations in late December to see if any students might be able to help. Although most of the students had already cleared out for winter break, more than a dozen local students volunteered to participate, including the entire women’s basketball team. The final participants were sworn to secrecy until after the show aired so as to not ruin the surprise for the family.
“It’s not something that you get to do everyday,” stated Correal. “It was definitely an eye opening experience. You see things like this on television all the time but to be apart of the actual production was really fun and gratifying.”
“Just to see the excitement on the young kids’ face is something that I will always remember,” explained Kerstetter. They are a really sweet family and helping them out was really cool. The whole experience was very rewarding, from seeing how the entire production worked to bonding with fellow students and eventually surprising the family was really neat.”
For more on the story and the Tribe student-athletes’ participation visit TribeAthletics.com.
- Miller Drives In Three As Delaware Defeats Charleston, 5-1
- JMU's Elena Romesburg Receives NCAA Elite 90 Award
- Oldham's Walk-Off Single In The 12th Gives Elon 3-2 Victory Over Charleston
- UNCW Knocks Off Northeastern, 9-2, Behind Royalty's Complete Game
- NU Opens NCAA Rowing Championship on Friday
- Four Named USILA All-Americans
- No. 3 JMU Readies for NCAA WLAX Semifinals
- Stellar Pitching Performance Gives Delaware 3-1 Victory Over Hofstra
- Charleston Hits Four Homers To Power Past Hofstra, 10-3
- Weiss' Walk-Off Double Lifts UNCW Past Delaware, 2-1, In Baseball Opener