Dec 20, 2012, 9:07 AM EDT
When it comes to serving the community, the William and Mary Athletics family is an engaged and active participant. Recently, the Tribe’s men’s and women’s track and cross country programs held the 25th Annual Massey Cancer Center 5K Run, which raised $10,000 for cancer research.
“This event has been running strong, literally and figuratively, for over 25 years,” said Charles Crone, Massey Cancer Center Emeritus Board Member. “It is a winner in many facets, as we raised money and awareness for cancer research and did it in a fashion that promotes a healthy lifestyle. Having the William and Mary Track and Field programs and the Massey Cancer Center together is a partnership with two great institutions that really make a difference in their communities.” Crone, a cancer survivor and former Massey Cancer Center patient, estimates over $100,000 has been raised over the 25-year history of the event at W&M.
On the William and Mary side, Tribe assistant coach Brian Hunter spearheaded the event and was a driving force behind organizing the student-athlete volunteers, while student-athletes Allison Bartels, Maggie Gutierrez, and Mary Beth Berg were also primary organizers.
“This year’s success was a result of the hard work put in by the William and Mary Track and Field teams and because of the generous support from the Crone Family,” stated William and Mary Director of Cross County and Track and Field Stephen Walsh. “We know it is a small dent into the fight against cancer, but hope that we can continue to make a difference in races to come!”
- JMU Holds One Stroke Lead After Exciting #CAAChamps Second Round
- Charleston, W&M, JMU And Elon Advance To Women's Tennis Semifinals
- Drexel Joins Top Three Seeds In CAA Men's Tennis Semifinals
- JMU Leads After First Round of Men's Golf Championship
- CAA Weekend Preview - April 20
- Towson Tops Hofstra In CAA Women's Tennis Opener
- Buresch, Dandola Named NFCA Freshman of the Year Candidates
- Men's Golf Championship Begins Friday Morning
- Two #CAALax Players Taken in MLL Collegiate Draft
- CAA Tennis Championships Start Thursday