Dec 13, 2012, 9:26 AM EDT
Peet Poillon, who has starred as a player at both the collegiate and professional levels and has coached successfully in the high school ranks, has joined the University of Delaware men’s lacrosse coaching staff as a volunteer assistant coach.
Poillon (pronounced “poy-on”), who earned All-American honors at both Ohio State and UMBC (University of Maryland Baltimore County) and most recently served as boy’s lacrosse head coach at his alma mater, Seneca (Pa.) High School, joins a staff headed by 35th-year head coach Bob Shillinglaw, associate head coach Greg Carroll, and assistant coach Rob Cross.
“Our staff is excited to add Peet as a volunteer assistant coach,” said Shillinglaw, who ranks among the all-time leaders in wins among collegiate coaches with 305. “Peet has outstanding credentials and is one of the up and coming young coaches in Division I. He will be a great addition to all aspects of our program.”
Poillon, 25, was an honor student at UMBC, gaining United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association Scholar All-American honors and earning his degree in interdisciplinary studies and entrepreneurship in sports in 2010.
In addition to his previous coaching duties, he has served as owner and chief executive officer of Low and Away Lacrosse, LLC based out of Pittsburgh and Lancaster, Pa. since 2009 and has served as a player representative for Maverik Lacrosse since October, 2010.
Delaware, which advanced to the NCAA Final Four in 2007 and has appeared in the NCAA Tournament three times over the last six seasons, will begin its 2013 season Feb. 2 at High Point (N.C.). The home opener is set for Feb. 9 vs. Bucknell.
For more on the Blue Hens’ hiring visit BlueHens.com.
- CAA Hosts SAAC Leadership Summit June 23-25
- Towson Selects Matt Tyner As New Baseball Coach
- CAA Names Spring Scholar-Athlete Award Winners
- #CAAHoopsUnder25 Elon at William & Mary
- #CAAHoopsUnder25 Delaware at James Madison
- Eleven CAA Baseball Players Named All-Region
- Drexel's Crawford Begins Play In Second U.S. Open
- #CAAHoopsUnder25 W&M at Towson
- Four CAAFB Players Named Preseason All-Americans
- W&M Duo Headlines 14 Players Taken In MLB Draft