Dec 11, 2012, 2:47 PM EDT
On Thursday, December 6, 2012 members of the James Madison volleyball team and the Kappa Zeta chapter of Alpha Tau Omega fraternity collaborated on a fundraising event to help raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project.
The two groups held an exhibition match in Godwin Hall’s Sinclair Gymnasium that required a donation of any amount in order to enter. Members of ATO who were not participating in the match were in attendance along with supporters of the volleyball team and other JMU students. The fundraising effort was put together by Samuel Datta of ATO and volleyball associate head coach Ron Sweet, and it was the first time the event had taken place. The groups raised a total of $350 for the project with all proceeds going directly to the Wounded Warrior Project.
When asked about the significance of a fundraising activity like this, senior outside hitters Danielle Erb and Natalie Abel both agreed that giving back to the community on a much larger scale was necessary and rewarding. “This was a great event for an even greater cause.” Erb said, as Abel added that “helping out a cause bigger than JMU and having a positive impact on our country is a fulfilling experience.”
To learn more about the Wounded Warrior Project or to make a donation, visit their webpage.
JMU Volleyball has also shown their support for the United States Armed Forces earlier this year with their involvement with the Honor Flight Network, an organization that transports Veterans to the Nations Capital to visit memorials dedicated in their honor.
- JMU Knocks Off UNC to Advance to NCAA Championship Title Game
- All crews advance to C/D Semifinals on Day One at NCAAs
- Farrell Leads Northeastern To 7-2 Victory Over Delaware
- CAA Baseball Championship Game Moved Up To 11 AM On Saturday
- UNCW Advances To Fourth Straight CAA Title Game With 11-3 Win Over Elon
- Miller Drives In Three As Delaware Defeats Charleston, 5-1
- JMU's Elena Romesburg Receives NCAA Elite 90 Award
- Oldham's Walk-Off Single In The 12th Gives Elon 3-2 Victory Over Charleston
- UNCW Knocks Off Northeastern, 9-2, Behind Royalty's Complete Game
- NU Opens NCAA Rowing Championship on Friday