Nov 6, 2012, 10:56 PM EDT
Drexel, Northeastern and Old Dominion have been selected as three of the 16 participants in the 2012 NCAA Field Hockey Championship, announced Tuesday evening. This is the first time since 2002 that the CAA has placed three teams in the NCAA Tournament and the fifth time in seven seasons that multiple CAA teams advanced to the postseason.
The Dragons (15-6) will head to Charlottesville, Va., to take on Princeton (16-1), the second-overall seed, in its first round matchup Saturday. Also featured in the four-team bracket will be the host-institution Virginia (15-5) and Iowa (14-6). Drexel received the conference’s automatic bid to the NCAA Championship after winning its first ever CAA title with a 2-1 overtime victory over Northeastern. This will be Drexel’s second trip to the postseason after receiving an at-large bid in 2009.
Old Dominion (14-5) will travel to Chapel Hill, N.C. to compete against Michigan (15-6) in its first round match-up Saturday. Joining the Lady Monarchs in their bracket will be the NorPAC conference champion Stanford (15-6) and overall No. 1 seed North Carolina. The Lady Monarchs earned a spot in the field after winning the CAA regular season title with a perfect 7-0 record in conference play. ODU will be making its NCAA record 30th trip to the tournament and will be seeking its 10th national championship.
Northeastern (14-6) drew the third-overall seed Connecticut (18-1) for its first round matchup which will be played Saturday in Storrs, Conn. Also in the Huskies bracket will be Lafayette (17-1) and defending national champion Maryland (16-5). Northeastern earned an at-large bid after finishing third in the CAA standings and runner-up in the CAA Championship. The Huskies will be making their second consecutive trip to the postseason after falling in the first round to Penn State a year ago.
Old Dominion is the host of the 2012 NCAA Field Hockey Championship Final Four. The event will be held on Nov. 16 & 18 at the Powhatan Sports Complex.
- JMU Holds One Stroke Lead After Exciting #CAAChamps Second Round
- Charleston, W&M, JMU And Elon Advance To Women's Tennis Semifinals
- Drexel Joins Top Three Seeds In CAA Men's Tennis Semifinals
- JMU Leads After First Round of Men's Golf Championship
- CAA Weekend Preview - April 20
- Towson Tops Hofstra In CAA Women's Tennis Opener
- Buresch, Dandola Named NFCA Freshman of the Year Candidates
- Men's Golf Championship Begins Friday Morning
- Two #CAALax Players Taken in MLL Collegiate Draft
- CAA Tennis Championships Start Thursday