Oct 25, 2012, 2:01 PM EDT
The 2012 CAA Cross Country Championships will be hosted by the College of William & Mary at Eastern State Hospital in Williamsburg, Va. on Saturday, October 27. The women’s six-kilometer race is set to begin at 10:00 a.m. with the men’s eight-kilometer event to follow at 11:00 a.m. The awards ceremony will conclude the championships at 12:00 p.m. Admission to the event is free, and directions to the course are listed below.
Five CAA squads will tackle the course in pursuit of the men’s conference championship. William & Mary enters the event as the favorite as it looks to win its 13th straight CAA title. The Tribe currently ranks fifth in the Southeast Region of the USTFCAA Coaches’ Poll, and has been ranked as high as 23rd in the national polls.
W&M placed second in the prestigious Paul Short Invitational last month and finished 14th at the Pre-National Invitational. The Tribe returns two of its top finishers from last year’s CAA championship – senior Alex McGrath (6th) and 2011 CAA Rookie of the Year, Rad Gunzenhauser (5th). Junior Josh Hardin led W&M with a 26th-place effort at the Pre-Nationals.
Also in the hunt will be George Mason, which has placed second to W&M for the past three years. The Patriots, who enter the championship ranked No. 11 in the USTFCAA Southeast Region, collected top-five finishes in all four of their events this season. Senior Robert Reynolds captured the individual title at the Blue Ridge Invitational two weeks ago, and John Holt was Mason’s top finisher in two meets this season. Senior Everett Hackett and junior Alex Ott have are also coming off top 10 individual finishes.
Northeastern will be led by freshman Wesley Gallagher. The Huskies enter the event after a first place finish at the Ted Owen Invitational earlier this season and a ninth place performance in a deep field at the New England Championship.
- McConnell, Rooney Headline 2018 All-CAA Baseball Team
- Delaware Selected for Preseason WNIT
- Four CAA Tennis Players Receive ITA Regional Awards
- CAA Baseball Championship Gets Started On Wednesday
- Baseball Weekly Honors - May 21
- Hofstra, JMU End Seasons In Regionals
- Pairings Set For 2018 CAA Baseball Championship
- On to the NCAA Semifinals! No. 3 JMU Knocks Off No. 6 Florida to Advance
- Dukes Earn Victory In Postseason Opener, Pride Fall In Extras
- Seven Earn IL Women Media All-American Honors