Oct 23, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
Division I women’s basketball officials are preparing for the season by attending officiating clinics and completing online testing programs. In addition to being responsible for all game rules management, officials are also being asked to monitor closely the following areas in 2012-13:
• Incidental Elbow Contact. There can be incidental contact with the elbow above or below the shoulders and not all elbow contact with the elbow is a foul regardless of where the elbow makes contact.
• Traveling. Not all spin moves are travels and legal moves by the ball handler will be permitted. After establishing a pivot foot, that pivot foot may be lifted, but may not return to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.
• Freedom of Movement. Excessive physicality and the lack of freedom of movement will be enforced by officials. Players must be permitted to move freely and without being held, pushed or rerouted.
• Pace of Play. Stoppage of play that interrupts the flow and pace of the game will be watched closely by officials in 2012-13. In order to increase the pace of play, officials will keep the game moving following timeouts, to permit incidental/marginal contact, permit legal moves by ball handlers and to use the monitor judiciously.
• Restricted Area Rule. The restricted area is the only area on the floor in which a secondary/helpside defender is not permitted to establish initial guarding position and remain in this area to draw a charge on a player with the ball or a player who has released the ball on a pass or shot. Secondary/helpside defenders who are not defending the player with the ball or the player who has released the ball on a pass or shot are permitted to draw a charge in this area.
- CAA Weekend Preview - Oct. 20
- CAA WBB Media Day Teleconference Wrap-Up
- Mack, Messer Added To National Award Watch Lists
- JMU WBB Picked Atop Preseason Poll
- Watch Women's Basketball Media Day Show
- CAA Men's Basketball Media Day Teleconference
- This Week In CAA Football - Week 8 Preview
- Swimming/Diving Weekly Honors - Oct. 18
- Hofstra's Stergiou Named Golfer of the Week
- UNCW's Cover Earns Golfer of the Week