Oct 16, 2012, 5:55 AM EDT
Drexel, which returns all but one player from last year’s 29-7 team, has been picked to win the CAA men’s basketball championship in 2012-13 according to a vote of the league’s coaches, media relations directors and media members. The results of the poll were announced during Tuesday’s CAA Basketball Media Day at Champps-Pentagon Row in Arlington, Va.
The Dragons were followed in the voting by Delaware, George Mason, Old Dominion and Northeastern. Picked sixth was James Madison, followed by Hofstra, Georgia State, William & Mary, Towson and UNCW.
Drexel welcomes back four starters from a squad that set a school record for victories (29), captured its first CAA regular-season title and advanced to the quarterfinals of the NIT. Leading the Dragons is junior point guard Frantz Massenat, who earned first-team All-CAA honors in 2012 after scoring a team-high 13.7 points per game and leading the league in assists (4.8 apg). He’ll be joined in the backcourt by 2012 CAA Rookie of the Year Damion Lee (12.0 ppg) and seniors Chris Fouch (10.8 ppg) and Derrick Thomas (8.1 ppg). Drexel also has experience in the post with senior Daryl McCoy (4.3 ppg, 6.7 rpg) and junior Dartaye Ruffin (5.6 ppg, 4.9 rpg).
For the full Preseason All-CAA Men’s Hoops release, including full rosters and videos for the First and Second teams visit CAASports.com.
- JMU Holds One Stroke Lead After Exciting #CAAChamps Second Round
- Charleston, W&M, JMU And Elon Advance To Women's Tennis Semifinals
- Drexel Joins Top Three Seeds In CAA Men's Tennis Semifinals
- JMU Leads After First Round of Men's Golf Championship
- CAA Weekend Preview - April 20
- Towson Tops Hofstra In CAA Women's Tennis Opener
- Buresch, Dandola Named NFCA Freshman of the Year Candidates
- Men's Golf Championship Begins Friday Morning
- Two #CAALax Players Taken in MLL Collegiate Draft
- CAA Tennis Championships Start Thursday