Oct 16, 2012, 5:55 AM EDT
Drexel, which returns all but one player from last year’s 29-7 team, has been picked to win the CAA men’s basketball championship in 2012-13 according to a vote of the league’s coaches, media relations directors and media members. The results of the poll were announced during Tuesday’s CAA Basketball Media Day at Champps-Pentagon Row in Arlington, Va.
The Dragons were followed in the voting by Delaware, George Mason, Old Dominion and Northeastern. Picked sixth was James Madison, followed by Hofstra, Georgia State, William & Mary, Towson and UNCW.
Drexel welcomes back four starters from a squad that set a school record for victories (29), captured its first CAA regular-season title and advanced to the quarterfinals of the NIT. Leading the Dragons is junior point guard Frantz Massenat, who earned first-team All-CAA honors in 2012 after scoring a team-high 13.7 points per game and leading the league in assists (4.8 apg). He’ll be joined in the backcourt by 2012 CAA Rookie of the Year Damion Lee (12.0 ppg) and seniors Chris Fouch (10.8 ppg) and Derrick Thomas (8.1 ppg). Drexel also has experience in the post with senior Daryl McCoy (4.3 ppg, 6.7 rpg) and junior Dartaye Ruffin (5.6 ppg, 4.9 rpg).
For the full Preseason All-CAA Men’s Hoops release, including full rosters and videos for the First and Second teams visit CAASports.com.
- CAA Hosts SAAC Leadership Summit June 23-25
- Towson Selects Matt Tyner As New Baseball Coach
- CAA Names Spring Scholar-Athlete Award Winners
- #CAAHoopsUnder25 Elon at William & Mary
- #CAAHoopsUnder25 Delaware at James Madison
- Eleven CAA Baseball Players Named All-Region
- Drexel's Crawford Begins Play In Second U.S. Open
- #CAAHoopsUnder25 W&M at Towson
- Four CAAFB Players Named Preseason All-Americans
- W&M Duo Headlines 14 Players Taken In MLB Draft