Oct 16, 2012, 5:56 AM EST
Delaware, which returns all five starters from last year’s 31-2 squad, was selected to win the 2013 CAA Women’s Basketball title according to a vote of the league’s head coaches. The results of the poll were announced for Tuesday’s CAA Basketball Media Day at Champps-Pentagon Row in Arlington, Va.
The Blue Hens were followed in the voting by James Madison, Hofstra and Drexel. Old Dominion and Northeastern followed, while George Mason and UNCW tied for seventh. Towson and William & Mary tied for ninth, followed by Georgia State.
Delaware captured its first CAA championship and advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament last year. Back to lead the Blue Hens is senior All-America guard/forward Elena Delle Donne, who led the nation in scoring (28.1 ppg) in 2011-12 and is on pace to become the all-time leading scorer in CAA history. She will be joined in the frontcourt by senior Danielle Parker (8.6 ppg), who ranked eighth in the CAA in rebounding (7.5 rpg). The Blue Hens’ backcourt is led by two-time All-CAA senior Lauren Carra (10.2 ppg), senior Trumae Lucas (6.8 ppg) and junior Akeema Richards (6.2 ppg). Senior Kayla Miller will also provide depth in the backcourt, while junior center Kelsey Buchanan will assist in the post.
For the full rosters of both All-CAA Preseason squads as well as highlight videos for both visit CAASports.com.
- CAAFB Has Seven On Academic All-District Team
- Hofstra, JMU Punch #CAAChamps Semifinal Tickets
- UNCW Wins, WM Falls in NCAA First Round
- This Week In CAA Football - Week 12 Preview
- WM, UNCW Earn NCAA Berths
- CofC, Mummey Headline All-CAA Volleyball Honors
- Swimming/Diving Weekly Honors - Nov. 15
- Volleyball #CAAChamps Open On Thursday At JMU
- WM's Bustamante Named National Player of the Week
- Four CAAFB Teams Among Top 16 In FCS Polls